XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Games

Tip us?

bam654
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Games

Will there ever be games for Chrome cast?

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam654 View Post
Will there ever be games for Chrome cast?

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app
Nothing too elaborate considering the Delay inherent with the streaming.

There may be something a little better than Tic Tac Toe (available) but it would mostly be turn based stuff as anything that requires Twitch and React will not play well.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Nothing too elaborate considering the Delay inherent with the streaming.

There may be something a little better than Tic Tac Toe (available) but it would mostly be turn based stuff as anything that requires Twitch and React will not play well.
I could see something akin to the "overview" screen that some racing games do, but as Asphyx says, the inherent delay will prevent anything timing-based from relying on both device and CC screens simultaneously.

Leaderboard, instant replay, map would be possible though.

A Battleship type game would work, as would most hide-your-hand card games, Vegas type gambling games, and trivia games.

Lots of possibilities, but ultimately it's up to the developer and how much Chromecast ties into the core gameplay. The risk is too much tie-in will limit the game's market to Chromecast owners specifically, while not enough tie-in will make Chromecast just a cute toy.

Now if someone made a game that ran on the Chromecast itself... that would be interesting, as it would obviously require a Chromecast to play. Even higher risk, but better possibility of sync between players.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Now if someone made a game that ran on the Chromecast itself... that would be interesting, as it would obviously require a Chromecast to play. Even higher risk, but better possibility of sync between players.
I say bring back Pong! LOL
How much delay could that have! LOL

Battleship is a good one! But your right unless there are millions of CCasts sold I don't see anyone really targeting it.

aideneisley3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
http://www.gamepop.tv/ let's you play android games on your TV and is working with game developers to use android phones as controls there is a video on the website showing it.

My question is, if a different company can do it why not Google itself?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

iPhone 3g< Samsung Captivate< Atrix 4G

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by aideneisley3 View Post
My question is, if a different company can do it why not Google itself?
I'm sure they could but they are not a gaming company they are a Ad Supported Search Engine and Data Collection company.
Not really what they are interested in themselves but sure won't mind if someone else decides to licence games and use their Software to put it on a screen.