XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TF700 not found by Fastboot

Tip us?

Washedman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] TF700 not found by Fastboot

Ok, total noob here. I've been trying to get CWM on my TF700. I have Windows7 64 bit. I plug in either the tablet alone or docked, using any combination of USB2.0 dedicated charge/comm cable, USB3.0 dedicated charge/Comm cable and usb 2.0 and usb3.0 ports. The computer finds the "fastboot device" (usb2.0 port) or the AsUsTeK Fastboot device (USB3.0 port). It shows up in my devices list as an unknown type, but the drivers appear to be loaded correctly since the computer sees the devices and calls it the "Fastboot Device". I've tried the "ADB devices" and the "Fastboot Devices" commands but my tablet is never found (the command never returns the device string) and issuing the fastboot command to flash the CWM recovery just sits there waiting for the device. I'm lost. Can anyone give me a clue?

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 798

DONATE TO ME
Default SDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washedman View Post
Ok, total noob here. I've been trying to get CWM on my TF700. I have Windows7 64 bit. I plug in either the tablet alone or docked, using any combination of USB2.0 dedicated charge/comm cable, USB3.0 dedicated charge/Comm cable and usb 2.0 and usb3.0 ports. The computer finds the "fastboot device" (usb2.0 port) or the AsUsTeK Fastboot device (USB3.0 port). It shows up in my devices list as an unknown type, but the drivers appear to be loaded correctly since the computer sees the devices and calls it the "Fastboot Device". I've tried the "ADB devices" and the "Fastboot Devices" commands but my tablet is never found (the command never returns the device string) and issuing the fastboot command to flash the CWM recovery just sits there waiting for the device. I'm lost. Can anyone give me a clue?

You have downloaded the sdk from google yes??Put the .exe is the right place??Opened you CMD window with admin rights???

Washedman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036 View Post
You have downloaded the sdk from google yes??Put the .exe is the right place??Opened you CMD window with admin rights???
To the best of my knowledge (slim, I AM a noob, after all) I would say yes to all the above. The only thing I would question would be which .exe and which place? I still have a problem with reading peoples minds...

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 798

DONATE TO ME
Default fastboot/adb

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge (slim, I AM a noob, after all) I would say yes to all the above. The only thing I would question would be which .exe and which place? I still have a problem with reading peoples minds...
Fastboot.exe/adb.exe in the root of your local hard drive

Washedman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Fastboot.exe/adb.exe in the root of your local hard drive
No, I didn't place them in the root. I created a folder in the root called Android (for the ADB files) and Fastboot for the fastboot files. I opened the command line and CD to the appropriate folder for the fastboot. For the ADB.exe, I added a path statement in the environment variables as suggested. I can type in either command and the computer will recognize it and give the all the command structure, so I would assume that is operating correctly, yes?

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 798

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
No, I didn't place them in the root. I created a folder in the root called Android (for the ADB files) and Fastboot for the fastboot files. I opened the command line and CD to the appropriate folder for the fastboot. For the ADB.exe, I added a path statement in the environment variables as suggested. I can type in either command and the computer will recognize it and give the all the command structure, so I would assume that is operating correctly, yes?
Yes that is great. With the tablet in fasboot mode type
fastboot devices what is the outcome of this

Washedman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Yes that is great. With the tablet in fasboot mode type
fastboot devices what is the outcome of this
Nothing. It returns no string, letters or numbers. Blank. I tried every combination of ports and cables and drivers. Getting a bit frustrated.

huy_lonewolf
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I had a similar problem with flashing a custom recovery on the tf700 as well (mainly because of the dock), so let me share with you a few pointers that may help you fix this (it certainly helped in my case):
1. Never do any flashing, adb or fastboot with the tablet docked, especially when flashing recovery: I spent three hours scratching my head figuring out why I couldn’t flash the recovery (fastboot stuck at sending file), only to find out that everything worked perfectly when I removed the dock. In my opinion, the dock makes things unpredictable, so do everything with the dock.

2. As for adb and fastboot, you should just start setting up from scratch as it is always easier than troubleshooting for errors. After unlocking the bootloader using ASUS tool, what I suggest you should do are as below:
a. Uninstall COMPLETELY your current adb/fastboot drivers and install Universal Naked Driver 0.73 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2513339). Take note of the warning in red on how to uninstall existing adb driver.

b. Also take note that you actually need 2 sets of drivers, 1 for adb and 1 for fastboot (which are both included in the Universal Naked Driver). When you connect your tablet with Android running to your PC, you are installing driver for adb. With the driver properly installed, “adb devices” command will work and give you the list of connected devices to your PC through Windows’ CMD. Please also Google or search xda for adb files (no need to download the whole Android SDK just to get those adb files).

c. After successfully installing adb driver, you can manually reboot your tablet into fastboot mode through the button combo (power + volume down) with the tablet still connected to your PC. By then, your Device Manager should have another device listed as fastboot device. Again, follow the steps in the link to uninstall and reinstall fastboot driver. With this set up, you should be able to run “fastboot devices” command.

d. With fastboot, you can now flash a custom recovery. As a side note, since all this flashing custom recovery and ROM can potentially brick your tablet, after you have finished fixing adb/fastboot and get your ROM running, I strongly suggest you follow this link to obtain nvflash (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2455925) and make your tablet unbrickable. I actually did this before flashing a custom ROM, but I honestly don’t know if the timing makes any difference.