XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AOSP(or any other vanilla android) camera vs Touchwiz Camera

Tip us?

cj95zz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Tutorial AOSP(or any other vanilla android) camera vs Touchwiz Camera

I just saw that OMNIrom has finally been available for d3att and im quite excited about since it has multiwindow(one of the few things that keeps me locked to touchwiz).
But i was wondering is the stock camera a downgrade? I have read reports and discussions saying the stock camera is much more inferior to the touchwiz camera.
Besides the obvious benefits of having the newest android build, better battery(what i heard), and less bloat(although i usually just titanium them away), I would like peoples opinions on how else does stock compare to touch?

n_alvarez2007
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95zz View Post
I just saw that OMNIrom has finally been available for d3att and im quite excited about since it has multiwindow(one of the few things that keeps me locked to touchwiz).
But i was wondering is the stock camera a downgrade? I have read reports and discussions saying the stock camera is much more inferior to the touchwiz camera.
Besides the obvious benefits of having the newest android build, better battery(what i heard), and less bloat(although i usually just titanium them away), I would like peoples opinions on how else does stock compare to touch?
It depends on what you define personally as a "downgrade". Obviously because Touchwiz is proprietary to Samsung and not available for devs to port to their AOSP based roms, you're not going to get the fancy bells and whistles that come bundled with Samsung's camera app. However, I don't think it's fair to call it a downgrade if you're speaking merely in terms of picture and video quality.

From personal experience I've found the stock camera on most of the AOSP 4.3 based roms to be just as good in quality as Samsung's app. 4.4 based roms still have to work out bugs in the stock camera app so I wouldn't try those first. Find yourself a stable 4.3 based rom like CyanogenMod 10.2 or Quantum V2 Final and try your luck with those.

If you find that the camera lacks features you found yourself liking from the Samsung camera app, I suggest finding a good 3rd party camera app such as Camera Zoom FX. It provides just enough features that make the camera a pleasure to use while also retaining great picture quality. It has settings that allow for full 100% jpeg quality whereas some may limit the quality to 80% or less.

Hope this helps, I know how hard it is to find a straight answer since a lot of this depends on your own experience and observation but hopefully this leads you in the right direction.
Current Device: AT&T Galaxy S3 | Current Rom: Stock 4.3 Touchwiz
The Following User Says Thank You to n_alvarez2007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cj95zz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thanks a lot for ur answer. like im quite sick of the time it takes to upgrade anything by samsung. i never knew that some apps would limit the size. but anyway ill wait for the 4.4 to be a little more stable first. ill definitely make the switch once i gte word that samsung wont support NA S3s anymore,