5,598,718 Members 38,884 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tried to root Galaxy S4 Verizon, Had MK2 baseband, now stuck in download mode

Tip us?

c0rrupts3ct0r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Tried to root Galaxy S4 Verizon, Had MK2 baseband, now stuck in download mode

I had recently tried to root my phone, and i used a one click solution, which messed up my phone. I used odin to try to recover it, but it keeps erroring out, either in the middle the end or start. Its a i545 model samsung Galaxy S4. It had the MK2 baseband. my OS on my PC is windows 8.1 but i also tried XP and that didnt work either. I could really use some assitance on how to get past the flashing problem and get back to stock this is a new phone and i shouldn't have been doing this. I just want ti back to stock. Any suggestions?

jdhot1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default No Longer Rooted - Can't Update through Kies or OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rrupts3ct0r View Post
I had recently tried to root my phone, and i used a one click solution, which messed up my phone. I used odin to try to recover it, but it keeps erroring out, either in the middle the end or start. Its a i545 model samsung Galaxy S4. It had the MK2 baseband. my OS on my PC is windows 8.1 but i also tried XP and that didnt work either. I could really use some assitance on how to get past the flashing problem and get back to stock this is a new phone and i shouldn't have been doing this. I just want ti back to stock. Any suggestions?

I'm not quite sure where I could post the below as I wasn't able to leave a response in the developers section (first time poster).

I have a similar issue. I used the Saferoot mentioned in the following thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758 that does not trip Kn0x. I followed the directions and indeed stated and it did root my device

My device is a GT-i9505 - baseband version i9505zhuemk2

I have decided that I would not like to keep this feature and decided to uninstall it using the remove root access feature in SuperSu.

It appears that root has access has been removed however I can't update through Kies 3 or OTA as my Device Status now states "Custom".

I have not re-attempted to root it again in case it makes things worse.

I am currently in the process of downloading the stock firmware (4.3) but I don't think that I will be able to flash it using ODIN.

Please help.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by boh113 View Post
quite list there! will be interesting to see what the possibilities for the magician shall be!

Thanks for the heads up and i look forward to reading more
You try checking the tar files md5 to make sure it's good? Also try maybe another USB cable if you haven't already.

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

I'm not sure how I quoted that post when I was trying to quote yours

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

c0rrupts3ct0r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
You try checking the tar files md5 to make sure it's good? Also try maybe another USB cable if you haven't already.

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

I'm not sure how I quoted that post when I was trying to quote yours

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12
I had checked md5 and it says its correct. when i got my phone it did the verizon update and that put it on MK2. I had tried that firmware and either it gets to the end and fails or fails right away during write.

Mistertac
Old
(Last edited by Mistertac; 30th December 2013 at 02:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rrupts3ct0r View Post
I had checked md5 and it says its correct. when i got my phone it did the verizon update and that put it on MK2. I had tried that firmware and either it gets to the end and fails or fails right away during write.
Well if everything is checking out as far as md5 goes and you've tried another USB cable perhaps you Could try doing all this in Heimdall. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755265
I've talked to someone else who was having issues like you are. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct but worth a shot.
Did you say you tried another USB cable??

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhot1 View Post
I'm not quite sure where I could post the below as I wasn't able to leave a response in the developers section (first time poster).

I have a similar issue. I used the Saferoot mentioned in the following thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758 that does not trip Kn0x. I followed the directions and indeed stated and it did root my device

My device is a GT-i9505 - baseband version i9505zhuemk2

I have decided that I would not like to keep this feature and decided to uninstall it using the remove root access feature in SuperSu.

It appears that root has access has been removed however I can't update through Kies 3 or OTA as my Device Status now states "Custom".

I have not re-attempted to root it again in case it makes things worse.

I am currently in the process of downloading the stock firmware (4.3) but I don't think that I will be able to flash it using ODIN.

Please help.
Why don't you think you'd be able to flash that in odin??

Also I've read that you may have to manually uninstall busybox to remove that custom status. You may want to hop over to the Saferoot thread and ask k1mu about all that.
See here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48960686

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

klabit87
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I had a problem similar to this.
When I checked the md5 it was correct and everything should work fine, but when I load it into Odin it would fail.
Downloaded it again and it worked that time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
If I have helped please hit the thanks button!
------------------------------------------------------
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
Rom: FOXHOUND DIAMONDDOGS 3.65UPDATED4MDKtoMK2&AnyCarrier-SS-NOKNOX-CLEAN-FAST-THEMED
Recovery: [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2013-12-27 EXFAT Fix]

thunderbls
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by klabit87 View Post
I had a problem similar to this.
When I checked the md5 it was correct and everything should work fine, but when I load it into Odin it would fail.
Downloaded it again and it worked that time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Agreed just try again..

k1mu
Old
(Last edited by k1mu; 31st December 2013 at 06:56 PM.) Reason: duh. left out the 'xargs' in the long spell-out.
Thanks Meter 1241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well if everything is checking out as far as md5 goes and you've tried another USB cable perhaps you Could try doing all this in Heimdall. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755265
I've talked to someone else who was having issues like you are. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct but worth a shot.

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Also I've read that you may have to manually uninstall busybox to remove that custom status. You may want to hop over to the Saferoot thread and ask k1mu about all that.

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12
Once you get to that point, you're far better off flashing a full factory wipe ROM.
That, or manually uninstalling Busybox, is the only legit way to return to factory stock.
However, my point is that it's easier to just re-flash a full wipe than to keep trying to figure out what you've changed.

Uninstalling busybox is possible, but a PITA:
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
# cd /system/xbin/
# find . -type l | xargs rm
# rm busybox
# mount -o remount,ro /system

That "find" line is 'find space period space hyphen type lower-case-l vertical bar space xargs space rm'
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdhot1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default All Fixed!!

Quote:

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12

Thanks!!

I have re-installed the stock Rom. It is back to Official and I can update using OTA.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdhot1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhot1 View Post
Thanks!!

I have re-installed the stock Rom. It is back to Official and I can update using OTA.
Glad To hear it. Thanks @k1mu for chiming in. .. I'm still learning too!

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12