XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

2 newbie questions about unlocking/rooting

Tip us?

MarcoD1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default 2 newbie questions about unlocking/rooting

Hello, I want to unlock the bootloader of my sony xperia arc and install a rom on it (xperia ultimate hd rom). I read the sony site to unlock the bootloader and it said that the phone will be wiped. Can I just pull out my SD card before unlocking so I will know for sure that my data won't be deleted? Or is it imported (for system files) to keep my SD card in the phone before unlocking?

And when my bootloader is unlocked, can I install/flash the ICS based rom package on my Gingerbread android? Or do I have to do other things first?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LT15i using xda app-developers app

giannism13
Old
(Last edited by giannism13; 30th December 2013 at 08:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Well, I,don't thing that sd card is important on,unlocking bootloader. The only sideffect of unlocking bootloader is the factory reset .Only your apps and settings are deleted. Your photos, videos and generally any file that is stored on your sd ( except apps) will remain untouched. If you are root you can titanium backup to restore your apps. Also make sure you have backuped your contacts.

Now your second question.
It doesn't matter what version you have. For example you can flash from cupcake to kitkat just like you would do if you was on ics or any other android version.

Sent from my ST15i using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to giannism13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MarcoD1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks. For the versions of android installed there is something with kernels, right? Or is that included with the rom?

Sent from my LT15i using xda app-developers app

giannism13
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Sometimes when you download a Rom, inside the zip is a boot.img ( the kernel). But some devs don't provide a kernel with their Rom but instead they recommend you some third party kernels.

Sent from my ST15i using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to giannism13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]