XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can CM11 (kitkat) be installed from stock moto 2.3.6

Tip us?

robbak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can CM11 (kitkat) be installed from stock moto 2.3.6

I would like to install the kitkats under development. Can they be installed over a stock rom? I've installed the latest 2ndInit that I could find (it displays its version as v1.1.8), which installed cyanogen recovery v5.0.3.1. The instructions say you have to update the recovery, but the update_recovery.zip file doesn't apply.

Can I put the kitcat over a stock rom? Do I need a more recent 2ndInit and/or recovery? If so, where do i find them?

(Yes, this is a spare phone, and I am doing this for testing purposes.)

Android_74
Old
(Last edited by Android_74; 31st December 2013 at 07:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Deleted
MOTOROLA DEFY+ (MB526)
SLIMKAT BETA 2.4 (4.4.2 KITKAT)
TWRP 2.6.3.0

Click if i helped you!

cyrusct82
Old
Thanks Meter 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
I would like to install the kitkats under development. Can they be installed over a stock rom? I've installed the latest 2ndInit that I could find (it displays its version as v1.1.8), which installed cyanogen recovery v5.0.3.1. The instructions say you have to update the recovery, but the update_recovery.zip file doesn't apply.

Can I put the kitcat over a stock rom? Do I need a more recent 2ndInit and/or recovery? If so, where do i find them?

(Yes, this is a spare phone, and I am doing this for testing purposes.)
In CWM flash this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48501247
After you have flashed this reboot the phone, enter again in bootmenu(vol - on blue led) > TWRP recovery and flash what Rom you want.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to cyrusct82 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robbak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusct82 View Post
In CWM flash this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48501247
After you have flashed this reboot the phone, enter again in bootmenu(vol - on blue led) > TWRP recovery and flash what Rom you want.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's working. What I had wrong is trying to flash update_recovery.zip, which looks like it is to update previous CMs. I was able to flash that .zip from the 2ndInit's custom recovery, and use that to flash CM11 Now I have CM11 on it - thanks for your help. Next to choose a gapps package. It was actually the name 'TWRP' that I was missing.

For other's convienience, you can get TWRP Manager from the market, but there doesn't seem to be an official download of the apk, if you don't want to bother setting up a google account to get it.