5,597,762 Members 36,439 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MultiROM - PAC and SlimB - order, kernel, others...

Tip us?

noone1101
Old
(Last edited by noone1101; 26th December 2013 at 07:26 PM.) Reason: New idea...
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post MultiROM - PAC and SlimB - order, kernel, others...

Hello There.

First of all, is it possible to install both PAC-man 4.3 ROM and SlimBeam 4.3 using MultROM?
If Yes, how to do this correctly/what am I doing wrong?
I have TWRP 2.6.0.0 and MultROM installed. Tried different combinations and nothing work.
I'm not much into this stuff, so as far as I could go I have investigate the issue of kernels and kexec, but as I said, my knowledge stopped on knowing that there is such thing, and secondary ROM can be installed with different, separated kernel.

Thanks for interest.

I thought that it would be helpful if I write what combination/order of instalation gives what result, so here it goes:

1. Installing SlimBeam, and then PAC: E: Error executing update binary in zip 'tmp/mr_update.zip'
2. Installing PAC, and then SlimBeam: Installation complited correctly, secondary system(SlimB) loading forever with PAC boot animation - probbably because of kernel?
3. Installing PAC and then SlimBeam with seperated cernel: (In Multiroom when booting SlimB) Error Kexec-hardboot support required to boot this ROM...
In this case I'm guessing that patching this kernel could help, but it's superadvanced for me

Dexxon
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone1101 View Post
Hello There.

First of all, is it possible to install both PAC-man 4.3 ROM and SlimBeam 4.3 using MultROM?
If Yes, how to do this correctly/what am I doing wrong?
I have TWRP 2.6.0.0 and MultROM installed. Tried different combinations and nothing work.
I'm not much into this stuff, so as far as I could go I have investigate the issue of kernels and kexec, but as I said, my knowledge stopped on knowing that there is such thing, and secondary ROM can be installed with different, separated kernel.

Thanks for interest.

I thought that it would be helpful if I write what combination/order of instalation gives what result, so here it goes:

1. Installing SlimBeam, and then PAC: E: Error executing update binary in zip 'tmp/mr_update.zip'
2. Installing PAC, and then SlimBeam: Installation complited correctly, secondary system(SlimB) loading forever with PAC boot animation - probbably because of kernel?
3. Installing PAC and then SlimBeam with seperated cernel: (In Multiroom when booting SlimB) Error Kexec-hardboot support required to boot this ROM...
In this case I'm guessing that patching this kernel could help, but it's superadvanced for me
The kernel of your primary ROM needs to support kexec. I don't think this is true for the pac nor the slim kernel. You will have to flash a custom kernel on your primary ROM.
Trust me, I'm an engineer.

noone1101
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexxon View Post
The kernel of your primary ROM needs to support kexec. I don't think this is true for the pac nor the slim kernel. You will have to flash a custom kernel on your primary ROM.
Exactly.
Idk either how it looks like with pac as secondary, because of such mentioned problems.
I am on a good way to finding right kernel for that and trying to flash it, and test if it works.
Ty for reply.

Bogeyof
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone1101 View Post
Exactly.
Idk either how it looks like with pac as secondary, because of such mentioned problems.
I am on a good way to finding right kernel for that and trying to flash it, and test if it works.
Ty for reply.
Your Problems consists of 3 things:
1. U need a kernel with Kexec-Support for the primary Rom to be able to boot secondary rom with other kernel. If u use same kernel for both rom, u dont need a kernel with Kexec-Support
2. To flash the kernel for secondary rom, u need a repacked kernel with ramdisk from destination rom, anykernel wont work, cause u cant flash it on secondary. It writes with "dd" direct to partition and this is wrong way for secondary Rom. So u have to choose a repacked kernel for secondary...
3. The script in most install.zips for 4.3 roms contains symlinks written over more than one line. These scripts wont work with multirom installer (TWRP MultiRom), so u have to modify script, extract from zip, write all symlinks and all other commands (which are broken into more than 1 line) in 1 line and copy back into zip. Install will work now (modification is for "Error executing update binary in zip 'tmp/mr_update.zip').
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
LG 4X P880, TWRP + MultiRom (Stock V20b + Vanir 4.3.1 ), Galaxy Note 8.0 (3G), Stock, TWRP

Flying_Bear
Old
Thanks Meter 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogeyof View Post
Your Problems consists of 3 things:
1. U need a kernel with Kexec-Support for the primary Rom to be able to boot secondary rom with other kernel. If u use same kernel for both rom, u dont need a kernel with Kexec-Support
2. To flash the kernel for secondary rom, u need a repacked kernel with ramdisk from destination rom, anykernel wont work, cause u cant flash it on secondary. It writes with "dd" direct to partition and this is wrong way for secondary Rom. So u have to choose a repacked kernel for secondary...
3. The script in most install.zips for 4.3 roms contains symlinks written over more than one line. These scripts wont work with multirom installer (TWRP MultiRom), so u have to modify script, extract from zip, write all symlinks and all other commands (which are broken into more than 1 line) in 1 line and copy back into zip. Install will work now (modification is for "Error executing update binary in zip 'tmp/mr_update.zip').
the alternative to problem 3 is to install a rom, do a backup, install the rom you want and restore a backup as second rom. thats how i did it, noob-way
To install custom roms on O4x:

1. upgrade to jb
2. root
3. unlock bootloader
4. flash custom recovery (cwm)
5. flash roms
6. if you encounter any issues, search, they've been answered already.

Got issues with RIL/IMEI/BASEBAND on custom 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 ROMs on p880? Click me for possible solution!