XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Glass with RX Glasses

Tip us?

adamdescott
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cool [Q] Glass with RX Glasses

I read somewhere that there is a RX version in the mix. Does anyone know if the current model can be used with RX lenses/frames? I finally received an option to purchase, however I need to be able to see.

danguyf
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Yes, the current version (v2) can be removed from its titanium band and attached to various prescription frames via a single T4 screw.

Rochester Optical has announced that it will begin selling frames and prescription lenses following CES, which runs 7-10 January 2014, starting at $99. Google has released pictures of their own frames but has not announced a timetable for when they will be available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danguyf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pytyper483
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by danguyf View Post
Yes, the current version (v2) can be removed from its titanium band and attached to various prescription frames via a single T4 screw.

Rochester Optical has announced that it will begin selling frames and prescription lenses following CES, which runs 7-10 January 2014, starting at $99. Google has released pictures of their own frames but has not announced a timetable for when they will be available.
That's weird. I just called glass and was told that they are working on a fix for this, but nothing yet. I wear rx glasses too, but using them with glass, it hurts my nose and I see double vision (reflection on my rx lenses). They walked me through tweaks to the nose pieces, but nothing else.
What?

danguyf
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Since Google has not yet announced availability of their prescription lenses and frames, perhaps the Glass Guides are not allowed to talk about them yet? They're not going to advertise Rochester Optical's frames and lenses, as RO is not affiliated with them.

You can remove the Glass body from the frame and attach it to your glasses, if you like. Some people use zip ties; I used velcro strips. This may help with the discomfort. Depending on your frames, though, it may place the Glass screen in a less optimal place, though. I ultimately went back to using the factory titanium band and bend the nose pieces so that they would sit on the bottom lip of my frames, moving the Glass into a good position and making it so that only my glasses are touching my face, alleviating the discomfort.