XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuttering videos with 4.3 update

Tip us?

BeefJerky9
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] Stuttering videos with 4.3 update

Ever since updating to the newest official 4.3 ROM, I've been having issues with stuttering/juddering video. This will happen in both Youtube and BSplayer (HW acceleration). The stuttering will happen every few seconds, and seems to primarily affect 1080p videos, which many new Youtube videos are, as well as those I have on my SD card.

I have tried reflashing from scratch with the ODIN file that was just recently posted, which did not fix the issue. Nor did multiple factory resets. I have tried Youtube immediately after flashing the ODIN file and factory reset without setting up my accounts or loading any apps.

This did not happen with the stock 4.1.2 for me.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

BeefJerky9
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Bump. I'm surprised no one else has noticed this. Either that, or my phone coincidentally became defective at the time of the update...

goldsmitht
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky9 View Post
Ever since updating to the newest official 4.3 ROM, I've been having issues with stuttering/juddering video. This will happen in both Youtube and BSplayer (HW acceleration). The stuttering will happen every few seconds, and seems to primarily affect 1080p videos, which many new Youtube videos are, as well as those I have on my SD card.

I have tried reflashing from scratch with the ODIN file that was just recently posted, which did not fix the issue. Nor did multiple factory resets. I have tried Youtube immediately after flashing the ODIN file and factory reset without setting up my accounts or loading any apps.

This did not happen with the stock 4.1.2 for me.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
on fresh upgrade to 4.3, completely stock, and don't see it. Could be your connection, or maybe trying turning off HW acceleration?

BeefJerky9
Old
(Last edited by BeefJerky9; 31st December 2013 at 04:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmitht View Post
on fresh upgrade to 4.3, completely stock, and don't see it. Could be your connection, or maybe trying turning off HW acceleration?
I'm editing this since further experimenting says something has changed since the fresh ODIN load. BSplayer actually works fine now; the playback is smooth as expected. However, Youtube is still terrible, with regular stuttering. I can even play a video I downloaded from Youtube in BSplayer and it plays well, but in Youtube it stutters a lot. So, at least it seems like it's not a hardware issue. However, it is still very odd. It does it with both the original version of Youtube that comes with the 4.3 ROM, as well as the updated version from the Play Store. And the issue happens via both 4G and over Wi-Fi.

Thanks for the feedback!