XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

First time Sprint GS4 user trying to learn about root

Tip us?

waterbound
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Default First time Sprint GS4 user trying to learn about root

Hi, I am new to the GS4, came from the EVO 4G LTE, couldn't wait until it was time to upgrade and here I am finally! I did a search and specifically looking for information on rooting. Looking for pros and cons and possibly of returning to stock when necessary. Any help would be appreciated! I am currently running latest and greatest firware. Phone was purchased this weekend and I have upgraded to the latrst. Hopefully not a bad thing as I know with the EVO you would be screwed with the wrong hboot etc.
Thanks for your time and glad I went with Samsung, I'm loving this phone!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
Phone: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Hardware: 0003
HBoot: 1.12
Baseband: Always the latest
Recovery: TWRP 2.3.3.0
Kernel: Anything stable for JB ROMS
ROM: Currently CM10.1 or any 4.2 variant
Battery: Stock
[B]SD: Kingston 16GB Class 10

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbound View Post
Hi, I am new to the GS4, came from the EVO 4G LTE, couldn't wait until it was time to upgrade and here I am finally! I did a search and specifically looking for information on rooting. Looking for pros and cons and possibly of returning to stock when necessary. Any help would be appreciated! I am currently running latest and greatest firware. Phone was purchased this weekend and I have upgraded to the latrst. Hopefully not a bad thing as I know with the EVO you would be screwed with the wrong hboot etc.
Thanks for your time and glad I went with Samsung, I'm loving this phone!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
If you've upgraded to the 'latest greatest' you actually are kind of screwed.
That means that you took the OTA to MK2 with the Knox bootloader. AND that means that you cannot modify your device without tripping the 'knox counter flag'. That may not be a big deal - you can still flash loads of ROMs.
AND you can root using CF-Autoroot - search it's here in the dev section. then add a custom recovery like Philz or TWRP (some ROMs require flashing with one or the other; I keep zips of both on my SD to let me flash between them for installing different ROMs.
And you can now return to stock MK2 via Odin thanks to a .tar you can download from Sammobile.com (link is here too). BUT you cannot 'reset' the knox counter - as of yet.
Take some more time and you'll surely find this device to be as fantastic as most of us do.
Good luck!
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leaderbuilder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waterbound
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Thanks for the details! I figured I might have screwed myself a bit by taking the updates. I assume the counter flag isn't a big deal unless I want to return to stock? I'll read up on Knox to understand my limits. Thanks again!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Phone: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Hardware: 0003
HBoot: 1.12
Baseband: Always the latest
Recovery: TWRP 2.3.3.0
Kernel: Anything stable for JB ROMS
ROM: Currently CM10.1 or any 4.2 variant
Battery: Stock
[B]SD: Kingston 16GB Class 10

The Following User Says Thank You to waterbound For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 562
The Knox warranty flag will only affect you if you need to send the phone to Samsung for warranty repair or replacement. If you never need to send it to Samsung then it won't matter. Sprint has really changed their rooting policies lately and don't seem to complain as much if you rooted your phone. TEP, Best Buy Ins, Square Trade, and other insurances will still replace or fix your phone, Samsung is the only one that will have a problem that the warranty flag is tripped.
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.6.3.0