5,600,612 Members 33,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

With the CM11 builds now appearing, will the VZW Note 3 see any progress?

Tip us?

MrGorillaNoodles
Old
(Last edited by MrGorillaNoodles; 29th December 2013 at 10:39 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default With the CM11 builds now appearing, will the VZW Note 3 see any progress?

I'm in the market for a new phone, but before I leave T-Mobile and my Nexus 4 to sign my soul to the devil for 2 years I'd like to see a glimmer of hope for the AOSP on the Verizon Note 3.

I've been trying to inform myself on the issue with Verizon Note 3's recently and from what I've read it's not possible to boot a custom kernel, which is necessary for CM11.

Are we going to see any AOSP developer support soon for the VZW Note 3? Or does a locked bootloader really mean no potential?

newuser134
Old
Thanks Meter 77
There's still the vzw dev edition Note 3.

MrGorillaNoodles
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser134 View Post
There's still the vzw dev edition Note 3.
I'm confined to purchasing from Best Buy unfortunately.

I guess I could wait until the Developer Edition is back in stock, buy the retail Note 3, sell, then buy the Dev Note 3.

Is the unlocked bootloader the only difference between the retail and dev edition?

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGorillaNoodles View Post

Is the unlocked bootloader the only difference between the retail and dev edition?
Yes

suzook
Old
Thanks Meter 156
I am a big fan of cm....but I have been running beans ROM, and it feels like cm, but still has some tw features if you wanted. While its not a true cm....its damn close.

cdmoore74
Old
Thanks Meter 47
The Note 3 in my opinion is the best phone that "Verizon" offers. But if the Nexus 5 was on Verizon I would not have gotten the Note 3 because it's fully unlocked, crazy rom support and is half the cost of the Note 3. Personally I would be happy with a Google play edition Note 3 with support for the S-Pen and the note app. Even with a unlocked bootloader on the Note 2 you still can't use the original note apps on CM based roms plus something always failed to work correctly. I always ended up using touchwiz based roms on my Note 2.

profman03
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I also thought I was going to hate not having CM... so far I've been pleasantly surprised with Beans Rom and xposed.
The Following User Says Thank You to profman03 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 309
There is now a thread and alpha build of CM11 for the T-Mobile Note 3. This will probably work on Developer Edition Note 3s. Anyone interested, go here and be sure to look at post #57 > http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2590561