XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] rooted MJ7 won't install MK2 update

Tip us?

tuningmode
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] rooted MJ7 won't install MK2 update

I was searching to see if anyone else was having issues, but couldn't find any. I finally decided to turn the update off for the Verizon update, but it keeps saying unsuccessful and I'm assuming because the phone is rooted at the moment. Is there a way for me to install the mk2 update?

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1236

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuningmode View Post
I was searching to see if anyone else was having issues, but couldn't find any. I finally decided to turn the update off for the Verizon update, but it keeps saying unsuccessful and I'm assuming because the phone is rooted at the moment. Is there a way for me to install the mk2 update?
Nope, it'll install even though you're rooted, but you need to restore anything you've modified before the OTA will work - or at least any files that the OTA is trying to upgrade.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tuningmode
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
Nope, it'll install even though you're rooted, but you need to restore anything you've modified before the OTA will work - or at least any files that the OTA is trying to upgrade.
my guess is maybe the wifi tether, I was attempting to get it to work and there was a file or something to overwrite through a script from one of the threads I was reading. Could that be it?

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1236

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuningmode View Post
my guess is maybe the wifi tether, I was attempting to get it to work and there was a file or something to overwrite through a script from one of the threads I was reading. Could that be it?
Very likely the tether - it changes the framework, doesn't it? That's very likely to be updated by the OTA.
My Android devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Mz8691
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah, i have the same issues.. When i download the update ( I'm on MJ7 Rooted) it says please install, i click okay. It reboots it goes into the recovery, tries to update but shows a Error Android image, Restarts, then displays this message saying Error Phone couldn't update nothing was effected or something like that.What's the issue?! i wanna update / root because this message for the update pops up every damn day and it's so annoying! Please help me.

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1236

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz8691 View Post
Yeah, i have the same issues.. When i download the update ( I'm on MJ7 Rooted) it says please install, i click okay. It reboots it goes into the recovery, tries to update but shows a Error Android image, Restarts, then displays this message saying Error Phone couldn't update nothing was effected or something like that.What's the issue?! i wanna update / root because this message for the update pops up every damn day and it's so annoying! Please help me.
Flash the MJ7 no-wipe ROM that you'll find in the Android Development forum. That will restore all of the stock files that you should need (and also cause you to lose root.)Then, update to MK2 and re-root.
My Android devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1