XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck on 4.3

Tip us?

The Arbiter
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Stuck on 4.3

Ok so I never messed around with rooting until my phone got the 4.3 update the other night. I decided I hated the update so much that I did the saferoot method, and I'm now rooted.

Only after I did that did I discover that my bootloader is perma-locked and I can't try to unroot or rollback the android version or I'll hardbrick. I can't do roms. Essentially I can't fix what I rooted in order to fix, and trying to enter recovery mode and odin mode lights me up with a verizon warning. So:

1. Just what can I do SAFELY now that I'm rooted? I've already used titanium to uninstall the verizon apps, but I don't know what I'm doing beyond that to remove bloatware/make this thing faster.

2. Will there be a time in the future when I'll be able to totally unlock my phone and escape Verizon's tyranny even though I took the 4.3 OTA? I want to make it look like stock nexus android.

Thanks for any and all help!

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1706
1. That's about it. Maybe use Xposed and the Greenify module to hibernate apps that typically drain your battery. Can't do much more besides remove apps on TW 4.3.

2. Possibly or possibly never. Nobody knows if the Knox Bootloader and extra security checks put forth by Verizon will be overcome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

roaddog665
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I use Greenify to hibernate apps I sometimes use and titanium backup to freeze apps I never use. I don't uninstall them just in case. It's running great for me, much better than 4.1.2

I know you can't downgrade from 4.3, but you can't unroot either?

Sent from my SCH-I535

goldsmitht
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
Ok so I never messed around with rooting until my phone got the 4.3 update the other night. I decided I hated the update so much that I did the saferoot method, and I'm now rooted.

Only after I did that did I discover that my bootloader is perma-locked and I can't try to unroot or rollback the android version or I'll hardbrick. I can't do roms. Essentially I can't fix what I rooted in order to fix, and trying to enter recovery mode and odin mode lights me up with a verizon warning. So:

1. Just what can I do SAFELY now that I'm rooted? I've already used titanium to uninstall the verizon apps, but I don't know what I'm doing beyond that to remove bloatware/make this thing faster.

2. Will there be a time in the future when I'll be able to totally unlock my phone and escape Verizon's tyranny even though I took the 4.3 OTA? I want to make it look like stock nexus android.

go back to this forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758 Lots of comments on how to unroot if that is what you want. and give the DEVs some time, there will be a method, there is usually one found after a while. OR stick with what you have for a while, i can make mine look just like my rooted version with little variation, and stock isn't too bad, so far.

be patient grasshopper...

bmatty14
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Would I be able to Odin back to 4.1.2 so I can re root, unlock bootloader and flash custom ROM's again? Thanks
Sent via the internet

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatty14 View Post
Would I be able to Odin back to 4.1.2 so I can re root, unlock bootloader and flash custom ROM's again? Thanks
No. If you took the 4.3 OTA you are stuck on it. You will hard brick your device if you try to Odin back to 4.1.2. Been mentioned tons of times in numerous threads.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you

LordAlexx
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

Same situation...I flashed Stock_rooted_4.3 after taking the OTA and my phone said unauthorized software detected, take to Verizon. Luckily I found the original image and it flashed back to totally stock 4.3 build ML1.

Basic root would be fine for now so would you please link me to the method you used if you are also on ML1?

Thanks

GS3 Verizon
Stock, rooted 4.3
PagePlus

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlexx View Post
Same situation...I flashed Stock_rooted_4.3 after taking the OTA and my phone said unauthorized software detected, take to Verizon. Luckily I found the original image and it flashed back to totally stock 4.3 build ML1.

Basic root would be fine for now so would you please link me to the method you used if you are also on ML1?

Thanks
here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758
saferoot is discovered for Galaxy S4 but can be use safely on S3 also.

LordAlexx
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758
saferoot is discovered for Galaxy S4 but can be use safely on S3 also.
OK cool...just wanted to be sure; I am subscribed to that thread. Just gotta get ADB to see the phone. Everything else works via USB in all modes, kinda odd.

Thanks!

GS3 Verizon
Stock, rooted 4.3
PagePlus