XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A couple of problems with my device

Tip us?

jeffreylin_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default A couple of problems with my device

Firstly, I've noticed that the inside of the back cover smells like plastic. Is it supposed to smell like that?

Second, I've noticed that sometimes it can take ages to get a GPS lock, even though I'm on CM 7, which supposedly has no problems.

Last, and probably the most important one, is the SD card. Whenever I boot up the phone, it says that there is no SD card inserted. I am not able to mount it. Throughout the day, it will detect and mount it. It is the same issue with both cards I have, and there is no problem with them as verified by using an adapter and connecting it to my computer. Why does this happen? Its not the ROM, I have tried many different ones to no avail.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda app-developers app
Device: Samsung Galaxy S 4G
ROM: CyanogenMod 7.2 by Team ACID
Android version: Gingerbread

jeffsf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 957

DONATE TO ME
I can't comment on the plastic smell. I've never found any of the phones I've worked with to have any noticeable strong scent nor any of the replacement backs that I've run across, be they Nokia, Samsung, or Apple.

In my opinion, GPS just sucks on these devices and I am guessing that it is an RF design problem, not anything to do with ROMs, software, firmware, or magical AGPS patches. Some times I get 10-30 second lock, others take minutes, or never lock at all.

Does it always fail to see the microSD? Do you see any kind of card-like icon in the top of your screen when you boot or anything in the notification area? Is this an older phone? If so, I would suspect that the microSD socket is failing. Does the microSD click in and out solidly?

To debug the microSD you really need to look at the output of dmesg as well as some output from logcat when the phone is first running. If you would use something like pastebin rather that posting the whole thing here, many would appreciate it.
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on

jeffreylin_
Old
(Last edited by jeffreylin_; 2nd January 2014 at 11:17 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
(nevermind, figured it out)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S 4G
ROM: CyanogenMod 7.2 by Team ACID
Android version: Gingerbread