5,596,431 Members 39,608 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Calling

Tip us?

thals1992
Old
(Last edited by thals1992; 26th December 2013 at 01:49 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
Default WiFi Calling

T-Mobile has an interesting app that switches calls and basic texts (SMS not MMS) over WiFi when you lose cellular coverage. There's not too many interesting things in there, but its something that can be deployed to an ATIV S for those of you who are using T-Mobile. This is only the T-Mobile USA version. The T-Mobile European devices might have something similar.

This app has some hooks to RPC Server, so I have no clue what it completely does (as RPCServer.dll can't be actively decompiled easily), so I can't test this. It also has a PROVXML included as well, so I'm not sure how you deploy that on Samsungs. I pulled the app from the GDR2 ROM available for the Lumia 521.
The link below is everything I extracted of use from the CommonFiles, so it includes a few other T-Mobile apps in there too.

The name of the file is CommonFiles.7z and is ~100mb.
Password=XDA!
https://mega.co.nz/#!sZdwFYJL!Ba1-3y...93zCbwh9-my67s

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy Holidays!

EDIT: Here's the Store URL too for those who might want to try playing with the isAvailableInStore setting.
WiFi Calling
The Following User Says Thank You to thals1992 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2472
It installs on an interop-unlocked ATIV S, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work. The app can't remember its settings between launches, and turning the feature on doesn't do anything.

The manifest says it requires ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES, and XAP contains a RPC native component. My guess is that it requires an RPC service only available on T-Mobile-branded phones.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

thals1992
Old
(Last edited by thals1992; 26th December 2013 at 01:53 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
Hmm. Is there anyplace in the registry or something that has a list of available services? I can look in the ROM for it, or I guess that could be its own thread/discussion for another time.

Anyways, users who reviewed the app in the Store mention that they are billed for the usage of minutes and texts using the app, so I'm not sure how they authenticate with the SIM or something.

EDIT:
Here's a good note for those who didn't go to the WP App Store:
Quote:
by Russell 10/17/2013
Works great on Nokia Lumia 521 except for an outgoing SMS glitch (certain SMS character lengths that end in a punctuation, number, or other special character WILL NOT send over WiFi calling but send fine over cellular). Make sure to update your 911 address online with TMo or it won't work! Also call 611 if you're on a grandfathered plan with actual minutes, and have t-mobile add WiFi calling feature to your plan for free so that calls made using WiFi calling won't count against your plan minutes. If your Lumia didn't come with the app from the factory, you have to hard reset (erases all personal data) after installing app to get it to work.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2472
Hmm, that last part is awkward. No way I'm hard-resetting if I don't have to, although it *would* be convenient for international travel (SMS are free on T-Mobile but calling from overseas still costs a little bit unless doing it using WiFi calling).

You can indeed find the list of all installed services in the registry. They're under HKLM; you may need to dig a bit as they are in a few places. (I keep meaning to provide a registry search feature, but alas, this has not happened yet.) Of course, most of the registry entries for them aren't very informative; these things aren't supposed to be user-visible, so I'm not sure if you'll recognize a WiFi-Calling-related service when you see it anyhow. Also, it might not be available on other (non-T-Mobile-branded) phones anyhow, and we'd need root or a custom ROM to install such a thing.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

compu829
Old
Thanks Meter 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by thals1992 View Post
T-Mobile has an interesting app that switches calls and basic texts (SMS not MMS) over WiFi when you lose cellular coverage. There's not too many interesting things in there, but its something that can be deployed to an ATIV S for those of you who are using T-Mobile. This is only the T-Mobile USA version. The T-Mobile European devices might have something similar.

This app has some hooks to RPC Server, so I have no clue what it completely does (as RPCServer.dll can't be actively decompiled easily), so I can't test this. It also has a PROVXML included as well, so I'm not sure how you deploy that on Samsungs. I pulled the app from the GDR2 ROM available for the Lumia 521.
The link below is everything I extracted of use from the CommonFiles, so it includes a few other T-Mobile apps in there too.

The name of the file is CommonFiles.7z and is ~100mb.
Password=XDA!
https://mega.co.nz/#!sZdwFYJL!Ba1-3y...93zCbwh9-my67s

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy Holidays!

EDIT: Here's the Store URL too for those who might want to try playing with the isAvailableInStore setting.
WiFi Calling
you are missing two additional parts...this xap is just the "front end" to the whole Wi-Fi calling mechanism. You need the Wi-Fi calling dll and the certificate. It "forgets" the settings unless everything is in place.

If you really want to get it working, get the Lumia 810 FFU and extract it as a vhd. It has everything "baked in" including the certificates and the necessary "ims.config" file.

thals1992
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by compu829 View Post
you are missing two additional parts...this xap is just the "front end" to the whole Wi-Fi calling mechanism. You need the Wi-Fi calling dll and the certificate. It "forgets" the settings unless everything is in place.

If you really want to get it working, get the Lumia 810 FFU and extract it as a vhd. It has everything "baked in" including the certificates and the necessary "ims.config" file.

I guess I didn't get a good look at it.

What else do I need from the ROM and where is it expecting them to be located?

Sent from my RM-860 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT
Old
Thanks Meter 150

DONATE TO ME
Not sure if everyone knows this but, there is a App in the marketplace that will make calls over WI-FI or your data plan using your Google voice account. It's called "Spare Phone"

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...5-96ccba768463

I left the US for a business trip, I used this app with the hotel's Wi-Fi for the entire week. No extra fees when Verizon said it would be almost $0.80 a min to make a call and $2 per MB...Wi-Fi only for a week.

It is $3.50 tho...
If this post helped, PLEASE HIT THANKS !!!!

Thanks !

nerdfacenyan
Old
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
It also doesn't use your tmobile number. That's the big draw of WiFi calling.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
iPhone 5S, T-Mobile. iOS 7.1
Lumia 1520, T-Mobile. WP8 GDR3, Lumia Black
LG G Flex, T-Mobile. Rooted Stock.
iPad Air, T-Mobile. iOS 7.1
HTC HD2, T-Mobile, running whatever I want it to run (best thing a customer ever gave me)

Infrequent poster. T-Mobile Sales Representative. I don't speak in an official capacity for T-Mobile.

thals1992
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
I guess I need to sit down with the T-Mobile app for several hours, it might be using a sip server or something along those lines for the main cellular interface. I'll need to see what all this does too. If anyone want to help, just download the Lumia 521 ROM with NaviFirm+

I believe the product code and the model number is in the 521 thread in my signature.

Sent from my RM-860 using Tapatalk