5,600,612 Members 34,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTA to 4.3 with OTA Rootkeeper worked but not really?

Tip us?

nessa23
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] OTA to 4.3 with OTA Rootkeeper worked but not really?

I have searched the forums and can't find anyone with this problem. (Although I am also having similar problems to others who took Verizon OTA to 4.3.)

I was rooted, using CWM/TWRP. I backed up my ROM, temporarily unrooted with OTA Rootkeeper, which actually worked. I got the OTA update to 4.3. Sadly, this was before word was out about all the problems. (The rootkeeper is what apparently worked because VZ pushed this update out several days ago and my prior rooted ROM would not accept the update.)

I initially got stuck on the yellow triangle "go to Verizon now" screen but managed to get past that. What is troubling me is this: When I open Super SU, I get the "binary needs to be updated. Continue?" I click "continue" but then it asks to update "normal" or "TWRP/CWM." If I click TWRP/CWM, my tries to boot into recovery but then just goes to the yellow triangle of death page again and I get stuck until I can trick past that screen again. If I click to update "normal" it tries to update but then I get "Installation failed!"

Anyone know the problem with updating the SU binary?

What is super weird, though, is that my Supermanager app is working just fine, even the root only functions such as superlauncher.

My App Quarantine application also works just fine and it is root only. But when I try to open Titanium Backup, it won't grant superuser permission. So, it seems my phone is still rooted but not really?

I also cannot boot into recovery either using hardware buttons or using ROM manager.

This is very frustrating for me.

Does anyone know how to figure out my rooted or not rooted issue?

Thanks for any help!

david_hume
Old
Thanks Meter 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa23 View Post
I have searched the forums and can't find anyone with this problem. (Although I am also having similar problems to others who took Verizon OTA to 4.3.)

I was rooted, using CWM/TWRP. I backed up my ROM, temporarily unrooted with OTA Rootkeeper, which actually worked. I got the OTA update to 4.3. Sadly, this was before word was out about all the problems. (The rootkeeper is what apparently worked because VZ pushed this update out several days ago and my prior rooted ROM would not accept the update.)

I initially got stuck on the yellow triangle "go to Verizon now" screen but managed to get past that. What is troubling me is this: When I open Super SU, I get the "binary needs to be updated. Continue?" I click "continue" but then it asks to update "normal" or "TWRP/CWM." If I click TWRP/CWM, my tries to boot into recovery but then just goes to the yellow triangle of death page again and I get stuck until I can trick past that screen again. If I click to update "normal" it tries to update but then I get "Installation failed!"

Anyone know the problem with updating the SU binary?

What is super weird, though, is that my Supermanager app is working just fine, even the root only functions such as superlauncher.

My App Quarantine application also works just fine and it is root only. But when I try to open Titanium Backup, it won't grant superuser permission. So, it seems my phone is still rooted but not really?

I also cannot boot into recovery either using hardware buttons or using ROM manager.

This is very frustrating for me.

Does anyone know how to figure out my rooted or not rooted issue?

Thanks for any help!
When you accepted the update, you're not supposed to do anything that has to do with CWM or TWRP. This is because the Knox bootloader has taken over.

Try rooting through the saferoot method and then use titanium backup again.

As for the binary, can't really answer that since I'm not on the Android 4.3 update (can't accept official updates because of my micro SIM card). Go to the official 4.3 discussion thread and then ask about this.

Here's a link to the thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2575661
PHONE: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (Rooted)
- Running MOAR 7.1 Verizon by NewCultKing and Rompnit
- Backup ROM: Wicked Sensations by Dazedandconfused and Mikeman45

PHONE: Sony Xperia Z Ultra (Rooted)
- Running Google Play Edition ROM

TABLET: Google Nexus 7 (2013) by ASUS (Rooted and running Stock ROM)
TABLET: Google Nexus 10 by Samsung (Rooted and running Stock ROM)