5,593,793 Members 44,345 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Info on KNOX warranty I've seen

Tip us?

lp894
Old
(Last edited by lp894; 1st January 2014 at 03:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default Best Info on KNOX warranty I've seen

So, I actaully spoke with KNOX support today(not Samsung tech support) and asked them about whether installing a custom ROM would indeed void the hardware warranty on the device. Here's the first response I got:

Quote:
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your reply. There has been a lot of discussion regarding this matter and it will be ultimately up to the Samsung support center to determine whether the device will be covered under warranty. Since it's difficult to cover all the possible issues resulting from rooting, Samsung's official policy has been that if the device is rooted and if the device malfunctions due to rooting, the warranty will be void.

This is in response to the question I have abou what to do if I receive a device from insurance that already has the KNOX counter tripped
Unfortunately for the second case regarding the mobile device insurance company, the policy still remains the same. Technically the warranty bit should never be tripped if the device is loaded with the proper Samsung approved OS in a proper manner. If the device is returned to you with the KNOX warranty bit tripped, then we suspect that the device may had been refurbished unofficially.

Best regards
Steve
Samsung KNOX Team
I think this is going to be as good as it gets

boltor
Old
Thanks Meter 1
"and if the device malfunctions due to rooting"

good info. as always this will come back to whether Samsung believes (demonstrates?) that the warrantable problem is caused by the rooting. Hardware faults would be very hard to prove of course (screen, buttons, etc), however I'm sure that they would always say that software problems are caused by rooting. So, to my way of thinking, rooting does not "void" the warranty in total - it makes it more likely that Samsung will refuse a warranty claim, particularly for software problems.