5,597,501 Members 32,024 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unable to mount internal storage after flash? Here's how to fix it

Tip us?

el_muerte28
Old
(Last edited by el_muerte28; 1st January 2014 at 02:01 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Lightbulb Unable to mount internal storage after flash? Here's how to fix it

You have never seen me here, though I have been lurking for quite a while. I don't know that much about how Android works and usually leave everything up the pros. Recently, as in 1 1/2 hours ago, I tried to flash CM 11 through 4EXT. Well... it failed. I was stuck at the HTC loading screen and couldn't access the internal storage. I dug around the internet for a while and, while I did find some work arounds to fix it, they were lengthy and didn't work on Windows 8.1. So, being the impulsive person I am, I attempted something extremely stupid to hopefully solve my issue... and it worked! So, here goes:

1) Boot in 4EXT (not sure if it works on other recoveries)

2) Press the USB storage button

3) On your computer, open up explorer and find where the device is connected (there should be two partitions, D: and E:\)

4) One of the two will have files while the other one just shows a device (for me, it was E:\). Right click, hit properties, then format it. Yes, your read that right: Format it.

5) Reboot your phone into recovery. You should now have access to the internal SD card.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el_muerte28 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Odysseus1962
Old
Thanks Meter 330
Nice helpful first post. Next time I get stuck like that I'll have to try. It beats the heck out of reinstalling.
Current device: HTC Amaze 4G
Bootloader: HTC - Dev unlocked, S-on
Recovery: 4ext - smart flash enabled
ROM: Evervolv - 3.3.0p1 - 1/4/2014 - OTA - thanks jeepers007
Xposed framework - rovo89
GravityBox - C3C076

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat, best handset I ever owned
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus1962 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]