5,593,401 Members 36,578 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Missing stuff after root

Tip us?
 
bfdsoft
Old
(Last edited by bfdsoft; 27th December 2013 at 04:35 PM.) Reason: clarity
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Missing stuff after root

After rooting and loading the LiquidSmooth ROM, I discovered that the widgets and features I used most are from HTC and now gone. I then discovered that the distraction of the fam arriving for Xmas caused me to miss an important step ... backing up the current ROM. Every attempt to put the phone back using original ROMs available on the inet have failed ... and I'm not sure I really want to go back anyway. So...

1. Are there good replacements, or perhaps the original widgets themselves, available for the HTC widgets? I especially liked the calendar agenda widget and the widgets that allowed me to toggle wifi, bluetooth, mobile data and GPS.

2. How do I get internet passthrough to work? I'd prefer to use however HTC did it with HTC's or HTClike apps and drivers, but if that's simply not possible I could use a link to a good alternate solution that works ... every alternate I've found on the inet has user comments that its unstable, unreliable or simply doesn't work.
 
acejavelin
Old
#2  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 342
Posts: 1,150
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdsoft View Post
After rooting and loading the LiquidSmooth ROM, I discovered that the widgets and features I used most are from HTC and now gone. I then discovered that the distraction of the fam arriving for Xmas caused me to miss an important step ... backing up the current ROM. Every attempt to put the phone back using original ROMs available on the inet have failed ... and I'm not sure I really want to go back anyway. So...

1. Are there good replacements, or perhaps the original widgets themselves, available for the HTC widgets? I especially liked the calendar agenda widget and the widgets that allowed me to toggle wifi, bluetooth, mobile data and GPS.

2. How do I get internet passthrough to work? I'd prefer to use however HTC did it with HTC's or HTClike apps and drivers, but if that's simply not possible I could use a link to a good alternate solution that works ... every alternate I've found on the inet has user comments that its unstable, unreliable or simply doesn't work.
There are tons of ROMs available... assuming you were on the latest OTA before doing this, your best bet would be to install this ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154 (Bone stock, just root added)

The original widgets are tied to Sense, so unless you are using a stock or stock-based ROM that includes Sense you will not be able to use the HTC widgets. You could switch to a Sense ROM, there are several in the Developers sections, probably 5-6 or more that are based on the latest OTA, or you would try something like HD Widgets or other widget packs in the Play Store, there are tons that will give you the things you want.

Internet Passthough? Do you mean WiFi tethering? Most custom ROMs have that built in, just turn on Portable WiFi Hotspot, the one in LiquidSmooth works great.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (CarbonROM KitKat)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
 
bfdsoft
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2013
Re: widgets and Sense: Thx, I should have guessed that. I'll look at the widget packs and see what I can find, and those other ROMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Internet Passthough? Do you mean WiFi tethering? Most custom ROMs have that built in, just turn on Portable WiFi Hotspot, the one in LiquidSmooth works great.
HTC calls it internet passthrough (or something similar) but it seems to be more commonly called reverse tethering, where the phone uses the PC's internet connection via USB. WiFi isn't an option at many of the places I use the phone.
 
REV3NT3CH
Old
#4  
REV3NT3CH's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1145
Posts: 1,669
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oroville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdsoft View Post
Re: widgets and Sense: Thx, I should have guessed that. I'll look at the widget packs and see what I can find, and those other ROMs.



HTC calls it internet passthrough (or something similar) but it seems to be more commonly called reverse tethering, where the phone uses the PC's internet connection via USB. WiFi isn't an option at many of the places I use the phone.
i used hd widgets for clock replacement...launcher pro has some sense like widgets that come with as well...in the play store theres a few widgets that can simulate htc's widgets....but always keep in ming anything not sense based will not have those htc widgets...
Samsung Relay 4g
Rom: [4.4.2] [Unofficial] LiquidSmooth v3.0 Kernel: B14CKB1RD Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
HTC REZOUND
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 (Masque Of The Red Death) HBOOT: 2.28 Unlocked S-Off Radios: 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r

Donations are never expected but i will always fully appreciate and give thanks for them
 
bunchies
Old
#5  
bunchies's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 316
Posts: 857
Join Date: Dec 2012
well the toggle widget is in Liquidsmooth
i haven't been able to get the usb pass-thorough to work on win7 but it works perfect on Ubuntu so we need to find the driver for that
(with the tether it can either pass-through your home's wifi or you can use your 4g connection)

as far as the htc widgets go. you should find one in the playstore you like, i tried pulling the apk's from the ics stock rom but i already knew that they weren't going to work but i tested it anyways and they dont install on JB
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes