XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Only 1,200mb usable ram.

Tip us?

filthimoney
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Only 1,200mb usable ram.

So all I have done is root it and install twrp with Odin 3.0. I see other users online with a stock task manager app (which I can't find but would love a link!) They complain of only 2.3gb total usable ram. My task killer apps say at most 1,200mb/1.75gb. Should I not have access to at least 2gb of free ram after killing all apps with low security or at the least 2gb of ram that's not used by the system?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

filthimoney
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388353537658.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2482108

This is the highest amount of free ram I have been able to achieve. Using advanced task killer pro. Am I wrong or should I not see a number closer to 3gb? The 1,700mb can only be achieved if I kill everything immediately after boot. Apps security is lowest value.

skippyg
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Your phone reserves some of that for video memory which i can't remember how much it ends up being. Honestly there isn't a reason to even have a task killer on anything after android 2.3. All it does is kill apps that will silently relaunch I'm the background as background process to make for quick relaunch and use power in the process; Unless your running 20+ apps at once it's pointless.

The Following User Says Thank You to skippyg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

w7excursion
Old
(Last edited by w7excursion; 30th December 2013 at 05:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 147
It takes memory to run your phone's software and installed apps.

Edit: my available ram after a reset and clearing the ram. I have removed what I don't use from the stock rom so my numbers won't be the same. As far as I understand you cant free up the whole 3gb ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-29-23-12-58.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	2482749  
Nandroid - drank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w7excursion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

filthimoney
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
That's what I tried to do via something called stock app uninstaller or something but I'm still only seeing 1500mb when I kill all my apps. My gf's s4 says 1200mb via same app killer. Can you recommend an app to do so with? I also cannot find the stock Samsung app killer ANYWHERE but see the app in my system apps folder, is there a weird method to access it?

w7excursion
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Hold the home button down and it opens.
Nandroid - drank

MobDad
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthimoney View Post
So all I have done is root it and install twrp with Odin 3.0. I see other users online with a stock task manager app (which I can't find but would love a link!) They complain of only 2.3gb total usable ram. My task killer apps say at most 1,200mb/1.75gb. Should I not have access to at least 2gb of free ram after killing all apps with low security or at the least 2gb of ram that's not used by the system?
Thanks

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. As it fills up, the oldest programs drop off and the RAM uses the most recent apps to hold for quick access. You are accomplishing nothing by trying to free up more RAM.

mjcollum
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4654

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobDad View Post
Unused RAM is wasted RAM. As it fills up, the oldest programs drop off and the RAM uses the most recent apps to hold for quick access. You are accomplishing nothing by trying to free up more RAM.
Mmmm. I guess technically that's mostly correct. Though a bit misleading.

Ok.quick primer.
Yes, android pre loads things it thinks you may use into memory, this is a good thing and reduces launch times.

And yes, as android needs free memory it will close apps that have not been opened recently and attempt to free that memory.

In most situations for most people this is perfectly acceptable behavior, and is how you'd normally want your phone to function.

However there are gains in both speed, and battery life to be had by modifying how this process is done.

And one of the simplest things you can do to help is to remove everything from your phone you don't use.

That is part of the issue, apps you never use and have no need for will also get loaded into memory, this isn't really a huge issue as they just sit there holding space till its needed for something else. Though there can be a noticeable improvement to not having useless things in memory.

There is in fact a (admittedly small) performance hit to loading and unloading apps, especially ones that never get called, to and from the memory unnecessarily.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

dongarritas
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Yep.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app