Thinking about gettin the Chinese 802w Dual Sim... Advice please

Tip us?

mikeydablue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Thinking about gettin the Chinese 802w Dual Sim... Advice please

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of jumping the iOS ship and heading straight for the daddy of smartphones.

I love the idea of the dual sim - work & personal - hence why I'm considering the 802w. At the moment the only option is to do a Chinese import. It does come to the UK later in the new year but it's on pre-order only and it's a direct buy from HTC. Buying it in China I can save 1/4 - 1/3.

My main concern is if I'll be able to remove all the Chinese bloatware and revert it to a "clean Western" rom without too much pain. I've seen a few threads on here, I've skimmed the first few pages of each, but I've not read through them in detail, I've not dabbled with Android before and I don't have the phone, so I'd just like to get some unspecific thoughts...

I have pretty extensive experience modding iOS so I'm not too concerned about playing with the HTC and "getting there in the end", but I guess I'm hesitant if there are issues making the phone run seamlessly. I suppose what I'm asking, is the trade off worth it? Should I just wait another month or two and pay the extra to get the UK spec.

What, if any, would be the disadvantages of getting the Chinese import over waiting for the UK spec, besides the money.

Advice is greatly appreciated, thanks and happy new new!

mikeydablue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Bump - Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydablue View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of jumping the iOS ship and heading straight for the daddy of smartphones.

I love the idea of the dual sim - work & personal - hence why I'm considering the 802w. At the moment the only option is to do a Chinese import. It does come to the UK later in the new year but it's on pre-order only and it's a direct buy from HTC. Buying it in China I can save 1/4 - 1/3.

My main concern is if I'll be able to remove all the Chinese bloatware and revert it to a "clean Western" rom without too much pain. I've seen a few threads on here, I've skimmed the first few pages of each, but I've not read through them in detail, I've not dabbled with Android before and I don't have the phone, so I'd just like to get some unspecific thoughts...

I have pretty extensive experience modding iOS so I'm not too concerned about playing with the HTC and "getting there in the end", but I guess I'm hesitant if there are issues making the phone run seamlessly. I suppose what I'm asking, is the trade off worth it? Should I just wait another month or two and pay the extra to get the UK spec.

What, if any, would be the disadvantages of getting the Chinese import over waiting for the UK spec, besides the money.

Advice is greatly appreciated, thanks and happy new new!