5,597,871 Members 38,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Methods for streaming video from my PC remotely?

Tip us?

MikeChops
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Methods for streaming video from my PC remotely?

Many of the suggestions I've ran across so far were for local wifi streaming. Im looking to be able to watch something stored on my pc with my N4 away from home via mobile network. I have an unthrottled data plan, so nothing is overkill.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MikeChops
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Any ideas?

Critical Detox
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChops View Post
Any ideas?
I might have something working, I'm making sure it works first before i pass it to you though, so stay tuned!

Sent from an Xposed LG-G2/LS-980

MikeChops
Old
(Last edited by MikeChops; 1st January 2014 at 05:46 PM.) Reason: fixed image attachment
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok I figured it out, and feel silly that it was under my nose this whole time. I hate when people figure out a problem without sharing the solution so I'll share for anybody with the same question in the future.

1. Download the Plex server (Plex for connected TVs and streaming devices): https://www.plex.tv/downloads

2. Invest $4.99 (well worth it) into the Plex app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lexapp.android

3. Setup the Plex server on your computer and enable the myPlex server. (see attachment)

Your app should discover your computer as if you're connected on the same network.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plex Server.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2487659  

Critical Detox
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChops View Post
Ok I figured it out, and feel silly that it was under my nose this whole time. I hate when people figure out a problem without sharing the solution so I'll share for anybody with the same question in the future.

1. Download the Plex server (Plex for connected TVs and streaming devices): https://www.plex.tv/downloads

2. Invest $4.99 (well worth it) into the Plex app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lexapp.android

3. Setup the Plex server on your computer and enable the myPlex server:

Your app should discover your computer as if you're connected on the same network.
I never said i wasn't going to share it, i was making sure it will work outside wifi, but whatever, you invested money on something you could of done for free.

kodochax
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Please share I'd like to know
Device: Samsung Galaxy Note ll

yumm91
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Emit also a good alternative.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
Sent by Desire HD powered by CM10.1

MikeChops
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Detox View Post
I never said i wasn't going to share it, i was making sure it will work outside wifi, but whatever, you invested money on something you could of done for free.

I never implied that you weren't going to share it, so my apologies if my wording seemed directed at you. My "not sharing" comment was directed to people that fix a problem they have without sharing a solution after the fact. By all means, I'd love to hear your method!

Other methods I ran across were a bit wonky. Plex offers the ability to change the bitrate of the videos I'm streaming, which was a major plus for me. The five bucks was well worth it. (having a gift card balance left over didn't hurt either.)

Tags
streaming