5,604,122 Members 48,544 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can we store photos only on google drive? **guide pending**

Tip us?

SickBeast
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
So I discovered a great Windows application called "FastStone" photo resizer. Here is what I did with it:

1. I did a search for *.jpg in my photos folder (I had a lot of folders unorganized, about 80gb worth over the past 10+ years).
2. I copied and pasted all of those jpeg files into a new folder I created called "Photos to be resized for google drive".
3. I ran FastStone photo resizer and set the options so that it would rename all of the photos by date, and also resize them all so that their longest side was 2048 pixels. I left the jpeg quality at 90%.
4. I grouped the photos into folders by year.
5. I put everything into my google drive folder.

Now I have over 80gb of photos in my google drive folder and still have all of my space unused because the longest side of the photos never exceeds 2048 pixels!

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm really enjoying google drive and the moto g. 8gb is more than adequate with all this cloud storage.

SickBeast
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Unfortunately I have to update this because the photos have to be on google+. If you leave them on google drive then they count toward your quota.

techguyone
Old
Thanks Meter 64
You can have the 'photos' app set to auto upload, which I initially thought would be good until I also found out it uploads all your videos too with no way to tell it to ignore certain directories, so if you store any videos on board that might be a problem.
Voice of reason. Mind of a maniac.