5,605,685 Members 48,351 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone not charging, USB burnt

Tip us?

RapideGT
Old
(Last edited by RapideGT; 2nd January 2014 at 02:49 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Phone not charging, USB burnt

RESOLVED (Kinda)

Hello!

My VZW i535 just started giving me issues. I should preface this by saying that it is rooted and I do have a CM11 nightly flashed (will try to get specific version when I can, which may be awhile). I've had this installed for probably over a month now without problems. I also understand that charging issues are very common but nothing I could find is the same as my issue.

I noticed my phone was overheating (as it has frequently since purchased) with about 30% battery today, so I plugged it in after doing a reboot and all seemed well. About 15 minutes later I hear it beeping, giving the signal the battery is below 15%. It was actually at 5%, and the bottom of the device was extremely hot, as well as the end of the Samsung cable included with it, so I unplugged it and found that the metal part of the cable was mostly black and there was a strong electrical burning smell.

I tried two other USB cables, both in the Samsung AC adapter, and in the USB ports of several devices. With any cable in the adapter, it would say "charging" but would not actually charge, but with the computer USB ports it wouldn't say or do anything at all.

The battery is at 2% now and the device is powered off so that I can quickly do something if need be, but I can't do much. I ordered some replacement batteries with a charger, due for arrival by Friday 1/3, since I assume that the damage to the USB interface is permanent.

Is it likely that this was caused by the software? Or is the charger faulty? Any advice, in general? The warranty has expired, but I do have insurance on it if for some reason it would be better to just get a new device. I can't restore it to stock until I get replacement batteries; is that what you recommend?

Thanks so much!

twistedillutions
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Sounds like a hardware i ssue. Look inside ur usb port on the device to make sure it did not get burn. Wen ur battery comes in put it on and try to charge it with new cable. If it doesn't charge then it will ur USB port. I know some 4.4 roms give wonky bat stats but it shouldn't burn out ur cable or usb port at least i think it shouldn't. If u believe is a software issues flash a different version of the rom a previous build or a whole different rom. But with 2% battery i don't think u would be able to. Good luck

RapideGT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
After playing around with it a bit, the USB interface on my phone definitely appears to have taken damage from the heat. It only charges when powered off, must be completely still, and charges relatively slowly.

What I would recommend for people with a similar problem is to do as I have done and purchase extra batteries with an external battery charger like the set I got for around $17 on Amazon.

My only guess for what caused this is that something faulted in the cable or AC adapter and caused a severe overheat issue. If anyone has anything else to say about that, please let me know so I have a better idea of what happened. I will mark as resolved soon.