XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recovery displaying strange folders. Can't flash roms

Tip us?

Tweak_It
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Recovery displaying strange folders. Can't flash roms

I bought a Sprint HTC One off of ebay. Hoping to flash a custom rom, unlock with viperboys sim unlock helper and use it with Fido in Canada. I have rooted two htc phone in the past and am somewhat familiar with the process.

I got as far as unlocking the bootloader and flashing cwm. But then I hit trouble.

When I boot into cwm I get these errors.

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

My sd card looks fine in windows, I can open it and use it normally. So I put a zipped rom onto it and boot into cwm (i've also tried twrp). Then I go to flash a zip from sd card it shows up with the following folders.

0/
GPU/
audio/
mms/
video/
weather/
zchgd/

It seems odd to me, and it doesn't look at all like what I see in windows, and I can't find my rom.

I've tried the following to fix this issue.

Wiped everything I could in recovery.
Ran an RUU three times.
adb sideloading a rom from recovery (I tried Viper rom and InsertCoin but both failed on install)

I hope this makes sense (no pun intended) and thanks in advance for you guys help.

davis60
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak_It View Post
I bought a Sprint HTC One off of ebay. Hoping to flash a custom rom, unlock with viperboys sim unlock helper and use it with Fido in Canada. I have rooted two htc phone in the past and am somewhat familiar with the process.

I got as far as unlocking the bootloader and flashing cwm. But then I hit trouble.

When I boot into cwm I get these errors.

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

My sd card looks fine in windows, I can open it and use it normally. So I put a zipped rom onto it and boot into cwm (i've also tried twrp). Then I go to flash a zip from sd card it shows up with the following folders.

0/
GPU/
audio/
mms/
video/
weather/
zchgd/

It seems odd to me, and it doesn't look at all like what I see in windows, and I can't find my rom.

I've tried the following to fix this issue.

Wiped everything I could in recovery.
Ran an RUU three times.
adb sideloading a rom from recovery (I tried Viper rom and InsertCoin but both failed on install)

I hope this makes sense (no pun intended) and thanks in advance for you guys help.
Try flashing another rom.

tdhite
Old
Thanks Meter 1500

DONATE TO ME
That smells like the wrong recovery -- which recovery and which version did you install (send the actual file and link if you can).
The Following User Says Thank You to tdhite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tweak_It
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default ClockworkMod v6.0.44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhite View Post
That smells like the wrong recovery -- which recovery and which version did you install (send the actual file and link if you can).
First off, thanks for the reply. I used ClockworkMod, tried both classic and touch with the same result. It looks like the right one to me but here is the link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2173863. The file is attached, had to zip it do to upload limits.
Attached Files
File Type: zip recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.4-m7ul.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.10 MB, 7 views)

Tweak_It
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis60 View Post
Try flashing another rom.
That's the problem, I can't flash roms.

tdhite
Old
Thanks Meter 1500

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak_It View Post
First off, thanks for the reply. I used ClockworkMod, tried both classic and touch with the same result. It looks like the right one to me but here is the link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2173863. The file is attached, had to zip it do to upload limits.
Well, m7ul is for the GSM Ones -- you sure you have that? If so, you should not be flashing non-GSM ROMs.

If you don't actually have the GSM phone, you would want m7spr and *not* m7ul for your CWM recovery. I'd urge PhilZ (based on CWM), but CWM is great too.

In any event. Can you send the model number of your phone so we can be sure what you have?
The Following User Says Thank You to tdhite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tweak_It
Old
(Last edited by Tweak_It; 6th January 2014 at 01:12 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhite View Post
Well, m7ul is for the GSM Ones -- you sure you have that? If so, you should not be flashing non-GSM ROMs.

If you don't actually have the GSM phone, you would want m7spr and *not* m7ul for your CWM recovery. I'd urge PhilZ (based on CWM), but CWM is great too.

In any event. Can you send the model number of your phone so we can be sure what you have?
Just flashed PhilZ recovery, looks like it should now. It's a sprint version model # M7_WLS. I'd like to flash a viper rom, there is a sprint version but I'm not using it on sprint. So, if I flash the GSM version can I still use the sim card slot?

Tweak_It
Old
(Last edited by Tweak_It; 1st January 2014 at 06:16 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, I get it now. Sprint phone = Sprint rom. Gsm phone = Gsm rom.

Thanks tdhite for pointing me in the right direction with the recovery, I can now flash roms. I think I'm good to go now.

tdhite
Old
Thanks Meter 1500

DONATE TO ME
Go install the LTE app from the play store if you want to play with different carrier settings. I use it with @hawknest's excellent, latest EclipticONE kitkat (insertcoin base). Works like a champ.