5,601,143 Members 48,282 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Got my S4. What now?

Tip us?

damnyouwaffles
Old
(Last edited by damnyouwaffles; 1st January 2014 at 09:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Got my S4. What now?

Hey guys, just got my S4 and I'm really happy with it, but I'm just so lost with all of the locked boot loader things and Loki ect. I don't know where to start at all. I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, if it is, could you guys point me in the right direction? Once again, sorry.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

bjoostema
Old
Thanks Meter 19
[QUOTE=damnyouwaffles;49030175]Hey guys, just got my S4 and I'm really happy with it, but I'm just so lost with all of the locked boot loader things and Loki ect. I don't know where to start at all. I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, if it is, could you guys point me in the right direction? Once again, sorry.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app[/QUOTE

Best place to start is finding out what build you're on as options are limited to some degree depending upon that. I'm assuming you're going to be on one of the newer ones. Lemme know and we'll go from there bud.

damnyouwaffles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Unfortunately, I am on the newest build that came out. I had no idea that the bootloaders were locked until after I updated. I actually came from the S3 so I pretty much know the tools that I need and things like that but I have never ever heard of Loki before, all I know is its some type of makeshift work around for the bootloader.

thesoldier
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyouwaffles View Post
Unfortunately, I am on the newest build that came out. I had no idea that the bootloaders were locked until after I updated. I actually came from the S3 so I pretty much know the tools that I need and things like that but I have never ever heard of Loki before, all I know is its some type of makeshift work around for the bootloader.

You will not be able to install a custom recovery on your device, as any build past MDK (the original build) has pretty much been locked down. Only MDK people have the ability to use Loki.

Your only alternative is Safestrap, basically you can only flash ROMs that use the stock kernel...which means no AOSP. There's a thread for it here somewhere.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

damnyouwaffles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Damn that's dissapointing to say the least. I really loved AOSP on my S3 and I really hear that its pretty great on on the S4. Oh well, I will just enjoy 4.3 until 4.4 comes later this month, or year due to Verizon's AMAZING speed when it comes to updates. -_-

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyouwaffles View Post

if you do some reading, you find that safestrap recovery is available for your phone....limited ROMs but at least its an avenue.

read and research !!!
S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94