XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Omnirom Nightly (20131230): Google Play Services not connecting

Tip us?

senuod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Omnirom Nightly (20131230): Google Play Services not connecting

So I am very new to rooting, but after reading through the XDA threads for about a year, I finally took the leap. Last week, I rooted my device using Framaroot. I flashed my device with Omnirom 4.4 nightly (20131203-i777-NIGHTLY) and PA-Gapps 20131215. Everything was working very well except for some battery drain. I decided to flash the newest Omnirom nightly in the hope that some of my issues would be addressed. Flashed Omnirom 20131230-i777-NIGHTLY via an OTA. That flash worked very well, except Google Play services was not working aka it would not allow me to sign into any of my google apps. I tried flashing the newest PA Gapps, that didn't fix the issues. Tried reflashing Omnirom and Gapps, that didn't work. Tried wiping my device and then restoring the ROM to a previous backup. Restoring to any of my previous backups failed continually, so I tried reflashing earlier builds of Omnirom. Several times that did not work, until now. Right now, I was able to flash Omnirom 20131203 with Gapps 20131215. My device will boot and google apps are running, but now I have no home screens...at all.

I'm hoping I might just be able to sideload the google experience launcher and that would fix this issue. I've been messing with my phone all day and decided to ask the experts on this sight for help before I did any further damage.

Thanks for you help and forgive my lack of knowledge...Thanks!

senuod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default ...and now

Quote:
Originally Posted by senuod View Post
So I am very new to rooting, but after reading through the XDA threads for about a year, I finally took the leap. Last week, I rooted my device using Framaroot. I flashed my device with Omnirom 4.4 nightly (20131203-i777-NIGHTLY) and PA-Gapps 20131215. Everything was working very well except for some battery drain. I decided to flash the newest Omnirom nightly in the hope that some of my issues would be addressed. Flashed Omnirom 20131230-i777-NIGHTLY via an OTA. That flash worked very well, except Google Play services was not working aka it would not allow me to sign into any of my google apps. I tried flashing the newest PA Gapps, that didn't fix the issues. Tried reflashing Omnirom and Gapps, that didn't work. Tried wiping my device and then restoring the ROM to a previous backup. Restoring to any of my previous backups failed continually, so I tried reflashing earlier builds of Omnirom. Several times that did not work, until now. Right now, I was able to flash Omnirom 20131203 with Gapps 20131215. My device will boot and google apps are running, but now I have no home screens...at all.

I'm hoping I might just be able to sideload the google experience launcher and that would fix this issue. I've been messing with my phone all day and decided to ask the experts on this sight for help before I did any further damage.

Now, after wiping/factory reset and re-flashing the rom, gapps, and supersu....still getting no homescreens AND not able to connect to google play services.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

cyril279
Old
(Last edited by cyril279; 31st December 2013 at 02:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 626
You're very close, but I'm not sure that it's worth trying to treat the symptoms (sideloading, reflashing, etc). It's easier to start clean. Once you are assured that you are using a compatible kernel/recovery, please follow all of the steps under the "initial installation" header of the OmniRom OP. The installation is easy and very straight forward.

if you prefer to avoid using mr-cook's script, then you can substitute it by wiping:
both caches
/data
/system
/preload

edit: Wiping /system is necessary. A factoy reset is NOT enough to guarantee a clean start.

Survival scripts are stored at /system/addon.d, which are honored by the omnirom install script. The only way to truly start clean is to wipe /system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senuod View Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

senuod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
You're very close, but I'm not sure that it's worth trying to treat the symptoms (sideloading, reflashing, etc). It's easier to start clean. Once you are assured that you are using a compatible kernel/recovery, please follow all of the steps under the "initial installation" header of the OmniRom OP. The installation is easy and very straight forward.

if you prefer to avoid using mr-cook's script, then you can substitute it by wiping:
both caches
/data
/system
/preload

edit: Wiping /system is necessary. A factoy reset is NOT enough to guarantee a clean start.

Survival scripts are stored at /system/addon.d, which are honored by the omnirom install script. The only way to truly start clean is to wipe /system.

I was able to restore my phone to a point before I flashed any ROMS using CWM recovery. Only issue with that is storage has been eaten up and some apps that were on my sd card aren't working well. I'll take those steps to properly flash OmniRom again in 2014.

Thanks cyril

senuod
Old
(Last edited by senuod; 2nd January 2014 at 01:27 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
looks like things may actually be working. thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post

both caches
/data
/system
/preload