XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 for Xmas now rooted (noob) but help needed

Tip us?

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago.taylor View Post
... rom manager, Clockworkmod touch and titanium backup installed. Now I see lots of references to twrp. Is twrp doing the same job as Cwm? Is twrp a better solution?...
I prefer TWRP and Rom Toolbox. Too many problems with RM, CWM, and TB.

Sent from my Nexus 7

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK43 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734

purephysics
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD View Post
I prefer TWRP and Rom Toolbox. Too many problems with RM, CWM, and TB.

Sent from my Nexus 7
I actually find CWM better than TWRP, though I will admit I like the TWRP layout and design better. TWRP asked me for a password when I tried to restore after a softbrick on my N7, I couldn't access my TWRP backup even though I could get into the relevant directory.

After some research I found that this was due to how the boot-loader had been unlocked, however I did it correctly (actually followed an XDA tutorial just to be sure), so I have been a bit put off TWRP because when I really needed it, it didn't work.

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by purephysics View Post
I actually find CWM better than TWRP, though I will admit I like the TWRP layout and design better. TWRP asked me for a password when I tried to restore after a softbrick on my N7, I couldn't access my TWRP backup even though I could get into the relevant directory.

After some research I found that this was due to how the boot-loader had been unlocked, however I did it correctly (actually followed an XDA tutorial just to be sure), so I have been a bit put off TWRP because when I really needed it, it didn't work.
Maybe give it another try. You can make a CWM backup first, just in case.

I used CWM, RM, and TB on my N1 from the beginning, without problems. Then, a couple of years ago, they all started to wonk out from time to time, so I switched to TWRP and Rom Toolbox. Never have a problem. But maybe I should give the others another try, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7

NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK442 FK43 DALVIK XPOSED TWRP2734

purephysics
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD View Post
Maybe give it another try.

I used CWM, RM, and TB on my N1 from the beginning, without problems. Then, a couple of years ago, they all started to wonk out from time to time, so I switched to TWRP and Rom Toolbox. Never have a problem. But maybe I should give the others another try, too.
I've decided to stick to CWM on my N7, mainly because I know it and I wanted a recovery I was familiar with while playing around with stuff like Xposed modules. I did like TWRP, I'll probably flash that on my phone over CWM and see how that goes.

I swear by Rom Toolbox, major props to the Dev(s) for that bad boy.