XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Service Through the Door Question

Tip us?

TyWillems19
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Cloud Search Service Through the Door Question

So I recently discovered that the Rezound (and other phones) receive signal through the battery door. I did not previously know this. I was wondering if anyone had any information on how this works. The reason I want to know is because I am in a VERY low service area, and if I stand in certain areas or at a certain angle in my house, I can get service enough to make calls and send texts, but just the slightest move can ruin it. I know all about the Network Extenders and Boosters and all the external hardware you can obtain to help this problem, but I was thinking of a more direct way that one might possibly increase their signal.

What I was thinking is that old cell phones have antennas, right? So if the Rezound (and other smartphones) use a similar or at least some kind of antenna system (such as through the door of the phone) then maybe one could use a wire and rig it to attach to the door to increase signal.

I wanted to try poking a hole big enough to fit a small wire through the top of the door, but small enough to not be noticed, and then try and attach the wire to one of the pieces of the door that grabs the signal. I want to be able to remove it if I want to, but I would figure out how to do that part on my own.

I basically just want to know what part of the door is giving my phone its signal. I see that the door has what look like metal plates on it and I am guessing those have something to do with it.

Can someone give me a little more info on how this works so I can try to figure something out for myself?

Thanks a ton!

Btw I realize doing something like this (even if it worked) will increase the signal very insignificantly, but I figure that it might be kind of fun to at least try and see what happens.

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyWillems19 View Post
So I recently discovered that the Rezound (and other phones) receive signal through the battery door. I did not previously know this. I was wondering if anyone had any information on how this works. The reason I want to know is because I am in a VERY low service area, and if I stand in certain areas or at a certain angle in my house, I can get service enough to make calls and send texts, but just the slightest move can ruin it. I know all about the Network Extenders and Boosters and all the external hardware you can obtain to help this problem, but I was thinking of a more direct way that one might possibly increase their signal.

What I was thinking is that old cell phones have antennas, right? So if the Rezound (and other smartphones) use a similar or at least some kind of antenna system (such as through the door of the phone) then maybe one could use a wire and rig it to attach to the door to increase signal.

I wanted to try poking a hole big enough to fit a small wire through the top of the door, but small enough to not be noticed, and then try and attach the wire to one of the pieces of the door that grabs the signal. I want to be able to remove it if I want to, but I would figure out how to do that part on my own.

I basically just want to know what part of the door is giving my phone its signal. I see that the door has what look like metal plates on it and I am guessing those have something to do with it.

Can someone give me a little more info on how this works so I can try to figure something out for myself?

Thanks a ton!

Btw I realize doing something like this (even if it worked) will increase the signal very insignificantly, but I figure that it might be kind of fun to at least try and see what happens.
Antennas are very complicated....a wire really wont help you....if you can pick some up id get paint with a hight metal content of gold or copper...prefferably gold...and go over where the copper paint already is...thats the antenna and a slight elongation of the paints design can cause alot of issues....ive tried aluminum tape and it really didnt do much justice in signal...i tried gold content paint as i had some laying around and had great sucess....although the cost would be just as much as building your own signal booster antenna....which i can dig up the guides for you on that as well
Samsung Relay 4g
Rom: [4.4.2] [Unofficial] LiquidSmooth v3.0 Kernel: B14CKB1RD Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
HTC REZOUND
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 (Masque Of The Red Death) HBOOT: 2.28 Unlocked S-Off Radios: 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r

Donations are never expected but i will always fully appreciate and give thanks for them
The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TyWillems19
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH View Post
Antennas are very complicated....a wire really wont help you....if you can pick some up id get paint with a hight metal content of gold or copper...prefferably gold...and go over where the copper paint already is...thats the antenna and a slight elongation of the paints design can cause alot of issues....ive tried aluminum tape and it really didnt do much justice in signal...i tried gold content paint as i had some laying around and had great sucess....although the cost would be just as much as building your own signal booster antenna....which i can dig up the guides for you on that as well
Hey thank you for the reply!

I would love the guides to making a booster. That will probably help me out.

Do you think if I got a copper wire, like the copper side of a speaker wire, I could strip it and close the door down onto it with the top sticking out? I mean, like I said before, I don't think the signal would be increased drastically at all, but could this help?

The gold paint you mean, is there an alternative or a cheap method of doing something like that besides what you had mentioned?

Thanks again.

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyWillems19 View Post
Hey thank you for the reply!

I would love the guides to making a booster. That will probably help me out.

Do you think if I got a copper wire, like the copper side of a speaker wire, I could strip it and close the door down onto it with the top sticking out? I mean, like I said before, I don't think the signal would be increased drastically at all, but could this help?

The gold paint you mean, is there an alternative or a cheap method of doing something like that besides what you had mentioned?

Thanks again.
no....they have to match the antenna design thats already there....like i said you can use a better copper paint which is cheaper than gold but gold is much better because of how well it can conduct...sticking a wire in it will proobably give you even worse signal than what you have...the signal booster will still run you a little bit of cash and requires a little bit of knowledge to do so...guides can only go so far sometimes...and unlike old school fliphones or old brick phones with antennas the ones is this phone are designed and programmed a very certain way and is complex...hence why your best bet would be a signal booster...let me google around for the right guide and ill get back to you
Samsung Relay 4g
Rom: [4.4.2] [Unofficial] LiquidSmooth v3.0 Kernel: B14CKB1RD Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
HTC REZOUND
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 (Masque Of The Red Death) HBOOT: 2.28 Unlocked S-Off Radios: 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r

Donations are never expected but i will always fully appreciate and give thanks for them

jagrave
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH View Post
no....they have to match the antenna design thats already there....like i said you can use a better copper paint which is cheaper than gold but gold is much better because of how well it can conduct...sticking a wire in it will proobably give you even worse signal than what you have...the signal booster will still run you a little bit of cash and requires a little bit of knowledge to do so...guides can only go so far sometimes...and unlike old school fliphones or old brick phones with antennas the ones is this phone are designed and programmed a very certain way and is complex...hence why your best bet would be a signal booster...let me google around for the right guide and ill get back to you
About how much would the booster cost, and it'd work with other phones in the house too? Service is spotty in our house too for some of the phones.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrave View Post
About how much would the booster cost, and it'd work with other phones in the house too? Service is spotty in our house too for some of the phones.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
you can buy one outright for around $150 or make one for about $50 to $75....also depends on if you want one band repeated or up to 3 bands...rezound on verizon only uses 2 though....and yes it will work for any phone that uses that band and or carrier...the cheaper alternative is the paint...which runs about $30 for the gold or $15 to $20 for the copper
Samsung Relay 4g
HTC REZOUND

tmanschuette
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Heck, I would really love a signal booster. I usually have one bar of signal, and I can't ever call or text out here

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1149

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanschuette View Post
Heck, I would really love a signal booster. I usually have one bar of signal, and I can't ever call or text out here

when i lived in the woodland areas of massachussets i had to try whatever i could for better signal...im looking for a good thorough guide on building one but not having much luck....may just write my own as i know how and whats needed
Samsung Relay 4g
HTC REZOUND

The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tmanschuette
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Right? I have to drive to the end of the street to make a call. We live in a valley in the middle of Nm, so the mountains don't help.