5,594,805 Members 36,409 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why does ota update work without data wipe?

Tip us?

baldy62
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Why does ota update work without data wipe?

I'm just wondering why Sprint's ota updates don't require a data wipe, but flashing the stock ROM in a custom recovery needs the wipe? I installed cnexus's rooted stock on my phone and initially tried a dirty flash, but had problems, so I wiped and did a clean install and all is good. My wife's phone is being prompted for the ota and I want to update her but I'd prefer not to have the Knox bootloader. I would simply update her phone as I did mine, but she'll kill me if I wiped her data. So, why can the ota install without the data wipe but the (essentially) same ROM installed manually can't? Anybody know?

metalfan78
Old
(Last edited by metalfan78; 1st January 2014 at 11:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1301
An OTA just adds new file, a rom overwrites the entire system, that's why a full wipe is always recommended. I think there is a thread somewhere here that has flashable OTAs though. It sounds like she is rooted, so why don't you use a backup app like titanium?

brianando
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Titanium is great and you will never have to worry about losing data. Plus its good to clear out the phone every once and awhile to keep it running fresh.