5,606,530 Members 33,053 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Running stock 4.1.2.. What is most stable to flash?

Tip us?

DatacomGuy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Running stock 4.1.2.. What is most stable to flash?

Is 4.1.2 the latest VZW published version?

I'd like to get to 4.3 or 4.4.. what is the most stable ROM that i can flash that won't cause me to lose any features like GPS or Bluetooth?

sjpritch25
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatacomGuy View Post

I'd like to get to 4.3 or 4.4.. what is the most stable ROM that i can flash that won't cause me to lose any features like GPS or Bluetooth?

For TW 4.1.2 is the most current, but developers are working on 4.3. Otherwise, I would flash an AOSP ROM & I've had good luck on those too.
VZW SGS III
Unlocked Bootloader
Android Version 4.1.2
M.O.A.Rv4.0.1 Verizon 10
3.0.69-KT747 ktoonsez Kernal

beepea206
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:

Gummy and SlimKay have full GPS and Bluetooth capabilities. The unofficial CM builds are FAR more stable than the official ones, so if you must use CM, go with an unofficial like Mastamoon or KitKang.

HOWEVER... every custom rom has issues with a 'kill signal' with Bluetooth, so if you use BT, you need to make sure you power down the other device, before you try to turn off BT on your phone; that will send the signal to your device and unpair the two. Otherwise, your phone won't be able to reconnect to BT on that device and you'll have to reboot. It's a known bug and people are working on it.

I used Gummy all December and now I'm running SlimKat... they're stable for daily use. I'd recommend a custom kernel with Slim, though... I'm using Lean Kernel.

razorr69
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Take a look at this it was just released

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591895

lexluthor
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepea206 View Post
Gummy and SlimKay have full GPS and Bluetooth capabilities. The unofficial CM builds are FAR more stable than the official ones, so if you must use CM, go with an unofficial like Mastamoon or KitKang.
Why would an unofficial cm be more stable? From reading the descriptions, it's just cm with a couple of visual tweaks, no?

beepea206
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post
Why would an unofficial cm be more stable? From reading the descriptions, it's just cm with a couple of visual tweaks, no?
Recent CM nightlies are highly unstable and there's often they'll put out a build with a commit they later revert. The unofficial builds vary... some don't release every night (avoiding those bad commits), others cherry-pick and are able to avoid commits they don't think are necessary (and are what often wonk up a build). Basically, they're more fine-tuned for our specific device (the CM builds are just pushed out auto-build) and tend to perform better.

If you look at the feedback in the 'official' thread, then compare that to the unofficial threads, you'll see far more issues in the official one. Could be more noobs going to CM's official builds because it's considered safer, but I've seen some veteran flashers have the same issues, so I'm inclined to believe it's due to how they push out nightlies.

... but that's just my observation. Take it for what it's worth.

lexluthor
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepea206 View Post
Recent CM nightlies are highly unstable and there's often they'll put out a build with a commit they later revert. The unofficial builds vary... some don't release every night (avoiding those bad commits), others cherry-pick and are able to avoid commits they don't think are necessary (and are what often wonk up a build). Basically, they're more fine-tuned for our specific device (the CM builds are just pushed out auto-build) and tend to perform better.

If you look at the feedback in the 'official' thread, then compare that to the unofficial threads, you'll see far more issues in the official one. Could be more noobs going to CM's official builds because it's considered safer, but I've seen some veteran flashers have the same issues, so I'm inclined to believe it's due to how they push out nightlies.

... but that's just my observation. Take it for what it's worth.
That's a reasonable explanation. I'm on CM11 official nightly. I usually read the changelog before I update. I did do a full wipe before updating originally and I've been running very well. I've had 1 random boot in about a week and the camera froze the system once. I had many more random reboots on TW. It's incredibly fast and I've got no lag (that was a bad problem for me on 4.1.2).

beepea206
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Nice one... checking the changelog and/or Gerrit commits is a good practice, IMO. I only flash a nightlie if I find some commits I think would make the rom run better for me... most are small things like language tweaks and updates to other device repos, so flashing the newest version isn't always necessary.

Regarding the random reboots, you probably have the same modem issue I do. There was a recent update to the device RILs that completely resolved the modem 'freakout' i kept having; I believe they used the updated device files from the 4.3 stock builds pushed out, so it made the device more compatible with the 4.3 and 4.4 roms.

dandydon414
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:

if you like touchwiz, MOAR and Wicked Sensations roms (4.1.2) are pretty good. I'm on cm10.2 (4.3.1) with xposed framework and it's running perfectly. I'm staying away from kitkat cause of all the bluetooth issues.