5,595,000 Members 38,698 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What exactly can I do after MK3 OTA?

Tip us?

Show-Me
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default What exactly can I do after MK3 OTA?

After reading many of the various threads posted on this forum, I understand the desire and need to limit useless posts. If this happens to be one, please delete it. I have been rooting phones and using info from this site for several years and early on decided not to waste XDA servers space.

So having said that, I seem to not be alone in having returned to stock and getting the Knox update. I have (thanks to the help of some folks on these forums) been able to unbrick and return to a stock MK3, mostly de-Knoxed system on my Sprint GS3. Where can I find a thread that lists my current options for using custom Roms safely? Perhaps a sticky thread specifically addressing this issue?

Thanks,

Carl

jesuscash
Old
Thanks Meter 327
If you have taken the 4.3 ota you can only flash 4.3 touchwiz roms and the recent aosp based roms

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

brianando
Old
Thanks Meter 3
That really is the only restriction now. You have to stay on 4.3 ROMs. There are some good ones out there. My current favorite is MOAR 7.1

eletendre84
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Not true. You can flash any ROM you like. You simply cannot downgrade or change the boot loader. As long as you do not try to ODIN an earlier stock .tar, you will be safe. android version is irrelevant.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to eletendre84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr. Struck
Old
Thanks Meter 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by eletendre84 View Post
Not true. You can flash any ROM you like. You simply cannot downgrade or change the boot loader. As long as you do not try to ODIN an earlier stock .tar, you will be safe. android version is irrelevant.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
@eletendre84 is absolutely correct; bootloader does not equal modem does not equal Android build number. Knox is only scared of one thing, and that is being replaced by a non-Knox bootloader. Period.