5,597,138 Members 44,052 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Questions about battery life and comparisons

Tip us?

Tony556
Old
(Last edited by Tony556; 31st December 2013 at 07:10 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Plug [Q] Questions about battery life and comparisons

I have a Nexus 7 32gb LTE, and I have a few questions about it's battery life compared to the other N7 devices.
I used to have a 16GB WiFi, and the battery life is MUCH better than the LTE's, is it because of the radio and/or storage size? If so, is there a way to make it so it'll have the same life? As stupid as that sounds. Could disabling the radio help? As when I tried with the 4636v2 app, there wasn't much change. I run the newest CM (deb) nightly every day, and I'm about to flash 12-30-13.

Thanks in advance,
Tony Sesek

codemonkey98
Old
Thanks Meter 53
You should have similar battery life if you are running WiFi when you are in your house. 4G LTE consumes more battery than WiFi. So picture myself running a 4G LTE variant Nexus 7 2013 and keeping my data plan on constantly, obviously I will consume more battery than my WiFi tablet.

You could try to find a kernel that supports your ROM but I personally don't think there is much you can do at this point.
Devices:
~~~~

Find my post helpful? Remember to click that button!

Tony556
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey98 View Post
You should have similar battery life if you are running WiFi when you are in your house. 4G LTE consumes more battery than WiFi. So picture myself running a 4G LTE variant Nexus 7 2013 and keeping my data plan on constantly, obviously I will consume more battery than my WiFi tablet.

You could try to find a kernel that supports your ROM but I personally don't think there is much you can do at this point.
I would use ElementalX, but CM just flops over onto its back begging to be killed when you try it now.
If you could recommend me a good, energy-saving, kernal like ElementalX for CM11, I'd highly appreciate it.
Also a way to conserve more energy, as I don't even HAVE a data plan, I just keep the SIM in so I don't lose it. If I take it out, could that help? Maybe a combo of disabling the radio and taking out the chip.

codemonkey98
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony556 View Post
I would use ElementalX, but CM just flops over onto its back begging to be killed when you try it now.
If you could recommend me a good, energy-saving, kernal like ElementalX for CM11, I'd highly appreciate it.
Also a way to conserve more energy, as I don't even HAVE a data plan, I just keep the SIM in so I don't lose it. If I take it out, could that help? Maybe a combo of disabling the radio and taking out the chip.
I wouldn't know any kernels for your device. I have a Nexus 7 2013 but I do not actually have it rooted. I know, what a shame, but I do like to have a stock tablet around. Especially one that is running vanilla Android.

The SIM shouldn't have any issues. It isn't doing anything, as it isn't activated. You could try disabling the LTE radio by using airplane mode and seeing if that helps. With the LTE radio off, there shouldn't be a difference in power consumption between a WiFi Nexus 7 2013 and a LTE one. You also could try disabling bluetooth and all sorts of miscellaneous options you do not use.
Devices:
~~~~

Tony556
Old
(Last edited by Tony556; 31st December 2013 at 09:59 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey98 View Post
I wouldn't know any kernels for your device. I have a Nexus 7 2013 but I do not actually have it rooted. I know, what a shame, but I do like to have a stock tablet around. Especially one that is running vanilla Android.

The SIM shouldn't have any issues. It isn't doing anything, as it isn't activated. You could try disabling the LTE radio by using airplane mode and seeing if that helps. With the LTE radio off, there shouldn't be a difference in power consumption between a WiFi Nexus 7 2013 and a LTE one. You also could try disabling bluetooth and all sorts of miscellaneous options you do not use.
I have the same stuff activated as I did on my WiFi, WiFi, NFC, Location, and that's about it. The 4626 or whatever it was app seems to help, slightly. But now, another problem arises. It's charging unusually fast, my tablet. IDK if USB Fastcharge is somehow enabled or what, but it's suffering from what my phone has. As my Verizon Galaxy Nexus charges and drains quickly. Haven't disconnected the tablet from power yet to see if it really is draining even quicker. Updates soon.

codemonkey98
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
I have the same stuff activated as I did on my WiFi, WiFi, NFC, Location, and that's about it. The 4626 or whatever it was app seems to help, slightly. But now, another problem arises. It's charging unusually fast, my tablet. IDK if USB Fastcharge is somehow enabled or what, but it's suffering from what my phone has. As my Verizon Galaxy Nexus charges and drains quickly. Haven't disconnected the tablet from power yet to see if it really is draining even quicker. Updates soon.
I have heard of the Nexus 7 draining faster than charging, but I have not heard about it charging as fast as it is draining. Have you tried doing this by any chance?
Devices:
~~~~

daffie
Old
(Last edited by daffie; 31st December 2013 at 01:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
I'm not sure how much rooting & installing a custom rom on my N7 has affected battery life, as I did that immediately after getting the device (therefore no frame of reference).

Using Sinless 3.2.0 rom together with ElementalX kernel (CPU 1728, GPU 477, UV 850, DT2W) and my N7 has been pretty much completely in standby for 17 hours (at work and therefore no time to play ) with only 10% battery used (90% left). This is with Wifi, Sync, GPS always on.

Normal usage will use up approx 2% per hour of battery. Still pretty awesome in my book!

This custom rom :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44&postcount=1

Tony556
Old
(Last edited by Tony556; 2nd January 2014 at 10:12 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffie View Post
I'm not sure how much rooting & installing a custom rom on my N7 has affected battery life, as I did that immediately after getting the device (therefore no frame of reference).

Using Sinless 3.2.0 rom together with ElementalX kernel (CPU 1728, GPU 477, UV 850, DT2W) and my N7 has been pretty much completely in standby for 17 hours (at work and therefore no time to play ) with only 10% battery used (90% left). This is with Wifi, Sync, GPS always on.

Normal usage will use up approx 2% per hour of battery. Still pretty awesome in my book!

This custom rom :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44&postcount=1
I would use that, but it's not for LTE (deb).
-----------------
For the last 2 days, I rarely used my tablet. But I binged it for up to an hour multiple times,Y and the battery drained wayyyy too fast. Screenshot of battery life soon

Tony556
Old
(Last edited by Tony556; 2nd January 2014 at 10:00 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
As I don't even USE the radio, should I just get some of my money back and buy a 32GB WiFi? Is it thinner than the LTE? Can I flash flo roms onto a deb? Disable the radio entirely? And don't say use airplane mode, I hate that stupid icon, and I think that disables GPS.

EDIT: Can I just: "fastboot erase radio"? Or format. Sounds SOMEWHAT logical.