5,595,428 Members 48,286 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus devices - updating with root

Tip us?

DijitalJB
Old
(Last edited by DijitalJB; 31st December 2013 at 10:14 AM.) Reason: Added punctuation for clarity
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus devices - updating with root

Hi all

Background: I'm no stranger to modding devices in general but I'm not an expert in Android modding. Just a tinkerer.

I love my Nexus 10 but it's feeling a little unloved after my attempt to update it to 4.4 KitKat. Until recently I was running:
  • Android 4.3 (JWR66Y build)
  • Rooted using the Nexus Tool Kit
  • SuperSU
  • Storage encryption using the built-in cryptfs functionality
  • TWRP recovery

The device automatically downloaded the KOT49H (4.4.2) OTA update. I went to the XDA IRC channel on Freenode and asked in there if it'd be OK to let it install. They said yes, it'll be fine but I might need to re-root. I let it install. It soft-bricked it. All I got was the KitKat boot animation.

I went into Fastboot, wiped and flashed the KOT49H stock build to the device. I don't have root and the device is fresh as a daisy (apart from having TWRP recovery still).

What I wanted to know is why the device became bricked. Judging by the other / threads / I found in the forum there seems to be some disagreement as to the actual process and even possibility of installing the OTA delta updates.

Can someone clarify why the device became bricked and help with avoiding such issues in future? I have a freshly updated device and I'd like to know what steps I should take to avoid having to wipe the tablet each time I want an OS update.

Thank you in advance

DijitalJB
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default New Years Eve

NYE was a bad time to post! Bump?

wantabe
Old
(Last edited by wantabe; 1st January 2014 at 06:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DijitalJB View Post
NYE was a bad time to post! Bump?
OTA updates will not work if you have a custom recovery installed (TWRP). You could have pulled the OTA update zip out of cache and moved it to storage and used TWRP to "Install" it or download it yourself and install it with TWRP. It's odd that it was bricked because normally it will just fail and throw an error (has unexpected contents). I know that if it fails while installing the update with TWRP, it will tell you what file or app in the system caused the problem. An OTA update will normally only work if you have the stock recovery and nothing in the system has been modified. Basically, the update will check to see if anything has been modified that is going to be updated. A major update like from 4.3 to 4.4 everything pretty much gets updated. A minor update like from 4.4.1 to 4.4.2 not a lot got updated so you might get away with some files being modified. Also... if you flash everything in the factory image Except the userdata image you will not lose your settings and user apps. If you want to install the OTA with TWRP and have modified the system or kernel you can just flash the system.img or boot.img so that the OTA will work. Make sense?
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!
The Following User Says Thank You to wantabe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DijitalJB
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Flashing system.img and boot.img only

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
...if you flash everything in the factory image except the userdata image you will not lose your settings and user apps. If you want to install the OTA with TWRP and have modified the system or kernel you can just flash the system.img or boot.img so that the OTA will work....
Thank you wantabe. That does make sense, yes. I've found the section of the Nexus Root Toolkit that will allow me to flash the individual images, and I've dissected the build archive from Google and found where those .img files are, which is cool.

My only follow up question is: when I first boot will the system do any kind of checking/upgrading of the existing userdata to make sure it's compatible? Is this automatic? I ask because I recall the update process involving something like this when I went from 4.0 to 4.1 on my phone.

Thanks in advance

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DijitalJB View Post
Thank you wantabe. That does make sense, yes. I've found the section of the Nexus Root Toolkit that will allow me to flash the individual images, and I've dissected the build archive from Google and found where those .img files are, which is cool.

My only follow up question is: when I first boot will the system do any kind of checking/upgrading of the existing userdata to make sure it's compatible? Is this automatic? I ask because I recall the update process involving something like this when I went from 4.0 to 4.1 on my phone.

Thanks in advance
When you boot? No. When you update it will check the system not the userdata.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!