5,594,564 Members 33,191 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Installing .apk

Tip us?
 
darkfish1
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Installing .apk

Okay this feels really dumb, but I'm trying to install an .apk

Easy enough, right? I find the apk via a file explorer and click to install. Android prompts me to allow apks to be installed, I allow them. Then the installation starts. Its going well, but suddenly the Note 3 restarts and the apk isn't installed.

I've factory reset it a few times and tried multiple times. I'm running stock. build number JSS15J.N900AUCUBMJ5 and the apk I'm trying to install is from the humble bundle. (particularly Ravensword 2, Star command, but even trying to install other apps via apks cause my note 3 to reboot)
 
Quickvic30
Old
(Last edited by Quickvic30; 29th December 2013 at 09:14 AM.)
#2  
Quickvic30's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 134
Posts: 424
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfish1 View Post
Okay this feels really dumb, but I'm trying to install an .apk

Easy enough, right? I find the apk via a file explorer and click to install. Android prompts me to allow apks to be installed, I allow them. Then the installation starts. Its going well, but suddenly the Note 3 restarts and the apk isn't installed.

I've factory reset it a few times and tried multiple times. I'm running stock. build number JSS15J.N900AUCUBMJ5 and the apk I'm trying to install is from the humble bundle. (particularly Ravensword 2, Star command, but even trying to install other apps via apks cause my note 3 to reboot)
Make sure that allow mock locations in checked in developer options and unkown sources is checked in security settings. If those are both checked and it still doesn't work you can push the app into the system manually, I use ES file explorer. Retrieve your apk from downloads, long press and copy it, go into device/system/app and paste, change apps permission to rw-r-r. To change the permissions long press the app, then click more on the bottom right then properties/change the permission to rw-r-r. you must be rooted to do it the manual way.
Current Devices

SM-N900T on AT&T
SPH-L720 on AT&T+Wicked V10
Galaxy Gear = Rooted+Kernel
 
darkfish1
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickvic30 View Post
Make sure that allow mock locations in checked in developer options and unkown sources is checked in security settings. If those are both checked and it still doesn't work you can push the app into the system manually, I use ES file explorer. Retrieve your apk from downloads, long press and copy it, go into device/system/app and paste, change apps permission to rw-r-r. To change the permissions long press the app, then click more on the bottom right then properties/change the permission to rw-r-r. you must be rooted to do it the manual way.
I turned on Mock Locations in dev mode. Unfortunately my devices is not rooted, Although I feel like it should still install normally. I've checked the APKs and they work on an S4 and LG G2, which are both not rooted.

Is it possible i just got a defective phone? bad software? bad hardware?
 
Quickvic30
Old
#4  
Quickvic30's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 134
Posts: 424
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfish1 View Post
I turned on Mock Locations in dev mode. Unfortunately my devices is not rooted, Although I feel like it should still install normally. I've checked the APKs and they work on an S4 and LG G2, which are both not rooted.

Is it possible i just got a defective phone? bad software? bad hardware?
What OS are the other phones running? 4.2, 4.3?
Current Devices

SM-N900T on AT&T
SPH-L720 on AT&T+Wicked V10
Galaxy Gear = Rooted+Kernel
 
FourPointedFreak
Old
#5  
FourPointedFreak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 294
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tampa
Try using APK installer via the Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apk.installer
Device: LG Nexus 5 (D820) on AT&T's LTE
ROM: Cyanogenmod 11
-Thanks Are Appreciated-

The Following User Says Thank You to FourPointedFreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
darkfish1
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickvic30 View Post
What OS are the other phones running? 4.2, 4.3?
I'm running 4.3 on the note, and the G2 is running 4.2.2 but the S4 is running 4.3. Also I'm finding that I'm unable to install anything now, even from the play store.
 
darkfish1
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPointedFreak View Post
Try using APK installer via the Play Store
I can't install the installer -_-

it just reboots when I try to install it.
 
FourPointedFreak
Old
#8  
FourPointedFreak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 294
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfish1 View Post
I can't install the installer -_-

it just reboots when I try to install it.
You can't install any apps from anywhere at all?
Device: LG Nexus 5 (D820) on AT&T's LTE
ROM: Cyanogenmod 11
-Thanks Are Appreciated-


The Following User Says Thank You to FourPointedFreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

[APK] YouTube Update to 5.6 Now Lets You Cast Live Video to Your Chromecast

Earlier today, we talked about how Google brought two new apps to … more

[OTA Captured] Android 4.4.2 Now Rolling Out to the AT&T Galaxy S 4 Active

A little under two months ago, AT&T started rolling out … more

HTC Releases Dual Lens SDK for the HTC One M8 (2014)

One of the highlights of the HTC One M8is its new dual lens camera system. Termed … more