XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T is threatening me for using wifi hotspot without a plan

Tip us?

killtheradio76
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Service [Q] AT&T is threatening me for using wifi hotspot without a plan

I have been using my rooted AT&T Samsung Note 2 as a wifi hotspot via Wifi Tether - TrevE Mod for over a year now without having to purchase one of AT&T's tethering plans. It has worked great and AT&T never seemed to know I was "sharing" my phone's data plan with my laptop. But yesterday I got a letter from AT&T stating that they know I'm doing it and that I have to purchase a tethering plan. That if I keep doing it and don't purchase a plan by the end of the month that they are going to automatically start billing me and switch me to their crappy limited data plans that include tethering. That I would loose my grandfathered unlimited data plan forever.

Has anybody else received such a letter? Are there some settings I can change in the wifi tether - TrevE Mod app so they will once again not be able to see that I'm sharing my data plan with myself (so dumb...)? Is there another app I should use? Please, anybody have any ideas or work arounds for this situation? I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

youStolemylaptop
Old
Thanks Meter 102

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by killtheradio76 View Post
I have been using my rooted AT&T Samsung Note 2 as a wifi hotspot via Wifi Tether - TrevE Mod for over a year now without having to purchase one of AT&T's tethering plans. It has worked great and AT&T never seemed to know I was "sharing" my phone's data plan with my laptop. But yesterday I got a letter from AT&T stating that they know I'm doing it and that I have to purchase a tethering plan. That if I keep doing it and don't purchase a plan by the end of the month that they are going to automatically start billing me and switch me to their crappy limited data plans that include tethering. That I would loose my grandfathered unlimited data plan forever.

Has anybody else received such a letter? Are there some settings I can change in the wifi tether - TrevE Mod app so they will once again not be able to see that I'm sharing my data plan with myself (so dumb...)? Is there another app I should use? Please, anybody have any ideas or work arounds for this situation? I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
You can switch user agents so that it tricks it in thinking you're using it on a tablet / smartphone. the only downside of doing that everything is displayed in a mobile view. like you going on Facebook will look like you're going on Facebook.com from your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
Phone - Samsung Note 2

Rom - VanirAOSP

Recovery - TWRP Recovery

Forum Rules

If I helped press the button.

LTE Speeds

smooth65
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I use a VPN to hide my tethering. No problems so far. It hides my IP address from my carrier!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

wase4711
Old
(Last edited by Naddict; 2nd January 2014 at 02:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3232

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by killtheradio76 View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth65 View Post
I use a VPN to hide my tethering. No problems so far. It hides my IP address from my carrier!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
Stealing services and you come here looking for help on how to continue being a crook???
MODERATOR EDIT (NO NEED FOR COMMENTS LIKE THIS) Its users like you that ruin it for us, and raise everyones prices..

Grow up and pay for what you use like the rest of us do..

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13092
Tether and/or any other mod here is tester/user beware...

If the carrier wants you to pay, then pay you must.

We do not do fraud here.

Thread Closed.
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe