XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 not recognized by PC?

Tip us?

VertzxD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 7 not recognized by PC?

Hi all, I've been lurking the forums since bout September of 2012. I haven't really been posting here, mainly just gathering ROMs, kernels, help etc.

Anyways, my Nexus 7 isn't being recognized by Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or even Ubuntu. this leads me to belive this is caused from the tablet. I have installed numerous drivers, but with no luck. Recently, I noticed when I boot into recovery, and the tavlet uis on the Google screen, my computer recognizes it as, "Unknown Device." Soon after it passes the Google screen and boots into TWRP Windows can't detect it anymore. My tablet says it's connected via AC, not USB - which is probably why I can't transfer files. I have MTP checked, and I tried PTP too. I've tried enabling and disabling debugging with no luck still. I'm using the OEM charger for the device, and I have tried using multiple cable with no dice.

"So a new possible way of fixing this after having contacted Asus support. They had me turn of my Nexus 7 and then hold the Volume Up + Power button for 30 seconds and then hold only the power button for 60 seconds. I was told this is to remove static from the mother board. USB Charging, USB Transfer, and Wireless Charging (which is what made me notice the issue) now work. The only problem I have now is that the cord that came with the tablet seems to be a bit loose and will cause it to stop charging when I don't just let it sit on a table."

That was suggested on a different forum, but that didn't work for me neither.

ADB nor fastboot cannot see my device as well.

Any help?

timrock
Old
Thanks Meter 172
have you tried plugging the cable in to a different usb port?
Nexus 7 (2013)
I couldn't hold out, so i rooted.

Add me on Google+

Pandae
Old
Thanks Meter 39
What drivers are you using? Try the generic USB ones here, which I use with no problem at all: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

For best results, go to Device Manager first, set it to show all hidden devices, then delete (not just disable) any previous drivers you may have installed.

"They had me turn of my Nexus 7 and then hold the Volume Up + Power button for 30 seconds and then hold only the power button for 60 seconds. I was told this is to remove static from the mother board."

I feel like hitting my head against a brick wall when hearing such advice.

VertzxD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrock View Post
have you tried plugging the cable in to a different usb port?
Yes, I've tried USB 3 ports, and USB 2 ports with no success.

VertzxD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandae View Post
What drivers are you using? Try the generic USB ones here, which I use with no problem at all: -snip-

For best results, go to Device Manager first, set it to show all hidden devices, then delete (not just disable) any previous drivers you may have installed.

"They had me turn of my Nexus 7 and then hold the Volume Up + Power button for 30 seconds and then hold only the power button for 60 seconds. I was told this is to remove static from the mother board."

I feel like hitting my head against a brick wall when hearing such advice.
Gotta love Asus' tech support.

mulperi
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Try Nexus Root Toolkit, it has a nice walkthrough that shos you how to first uninstall any existing non-working usb drivers. Then just try its options one by one and you'll have working drivers in minutes.

chucklehead
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I gave up even trying to get my original N7 and my N7 (2013) to be recognized by any PC. What I do instead is use a free app of the day I got from Amazon a while back called Wifi File Explorer. Run the app and you can access the file system from your PC. Upload, move, copy and create folders.

It's worked for me for a while now. I'm sure there are other free apps that will do the same.

[MOBILE] Nexus 7 (2013)

daffie
Old
(Last edited by daffie; 2nd January 2014 at 02:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertzxD View Post
Yes, I've tried USB 3 ports, and USB 2 ports with no success.
Have you also tried usb ports on the back of the PC? Those are directly on the motherboard, whereas usb ports on the front of a PC are almost always via a usb hub connected to the MB. I know of instances where this makes a substantial difference (device being recongnized or not). You might try it (if you haven't already).

Edit : also try disabling AV software and possibly firewall. But admitedly I have personally never had any issues regarding device not recognized due to this.

Simba501
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1115
This was my solution.