5,601,298 Members 56,459 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help! N7 stucked at loading screen while attempting to root

Tip us?

gooner4life
Old
(Last edited by gooner4life; 2nd January 2014 at 02:41 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
I've only ever used adb/fastboot. I hear that some people use Wug's toolkit but your learning adb, stick with it. Now you can boot into the bootloader. With the N7 booted up you can use adb to
adb reboot bootloader
then
fastboot flash recovery ************.img
Ok think i get that part, but i do need to copy the superSU zip file into the tablet as part of the process of rooting correct? Can't seem to do it with my PC not recognise my tablet now...any idea how to get around it?

ok i got it, gotta enable debugging mode of course...doh....

So now i just copy the latest SuperSu file UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86 into the tablet and install it from TWRP correct?
The Following User Says Thank You to gooner4life For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Download the supersu ZIP into the N7 storage. Then you can flash TWRP, the newest version. Then use TWRP to flash the supersu zip.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner4life View Post
Ok think i get that part, but i do need to copy the superSU zip file into the tablet as part of the process of rooting correct? Can't seem to do it with my PC not recognise my tablet now...any idea how to get around it?
That's weird that adb was working but you can't move files to it. Have you gone into developer options on your N7 and enabled usb debugging?
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!

gooner4life
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Btw i can't seem to get the device open as MTP, only PTP, can i just copy into internal storage of PTP then?

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Btw i can't seem to get the device open as MTP, only PTP, can i just copy into internal storage of PTP then?
When it is booted up and plugged into your computer open the notification drawer and click on "Connected as" and see if you can change it to Media Device (MTP)

Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)

gooner4life
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
When it is booted up and plugged into your computer open the notification drawer and click on "Connected as" and see if you can change it to Media Device (MTP)
well, when i first plugged it in, it says connected as media device, but i couldn't see the device in my computer. But if i choose camere (PTP), it will pop out as nexus 7, and i could access the internal storage, i suppose it doesn't really matter which one i choose does it?

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
well, when i first plugged it in, it says connected as media device, but i couldn't see the device in my computer. But if i choose camere (PTP), it will pop out as nexus 7, and i could access the internal storage, i suppose it doesn't really matter which one i choose does it?
I've never used PTP, all of my devices have worked as Media device MTP. What does it say in device manager? Go to start menu search box (Windows 7) and type dev, device manager should be an option.

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Unplug your N7, reboot, and after it boots up plug it in and see if MTP will work. If not you probably need to update the driver.

Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)

gooner4life
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I've never used PTP, all of my devices have worked as Media device MTP. What does it say in device manager? Go to start menu search box (Windows 7) and type dev, device manager should be an option.
nvm, i managed to get the MTP working after little bit of googling. I shall go ahead and root my tablet "carefully" now.

THANKS AGAIN BUDDY! I wish i could give you 100 thanks!

i get it done with no issue this time

p/s obviously with rooting now, i have to remove all the stock image file as per "booting into stock" correct? and just leave TWRP recovry and SuperSU in there correct?

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
nvm, i managed to get the MTP working after little bit of googling. I shall go ahead and root my tablet "carefully" now.

THANKS AGAIN BUDDY! I wish i could give you 100 thanks!

i get it done with no issue this time

p/s obviously with rooting now, i have to remove all the stock image file as per "booting into stock" correct? and just leave TWRP recovry and SuperSU in there correct?
I save the factory image, supersu zip and TWRP image in a separate folder. I also leave the supersu zip in my device storage in case I ever need it. Hell, it's only about 1MB. Make a backup (nandroid), especially if you start modding system files, flashing roms or kernels. I always run the stock rom but I use a lot of mods, like the headphone volume mod. Exposed Framework with GravityBox is a must have. Anyway...I'm glad we got it going again.

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

I've learned a lot here over the years. Sometimes it just feels good to give back to the community!

Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)

The Following User Says Thank You to wantabe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]