5,600,429 Members 32,749 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Finally Flashed!!! (This Is Gonna Be Long...)

Tip us?

Official_Noob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Finally Flashed!!! (This Is Gonna Be Long...)

When last Feb. I finally switched from my iToy to my N7100, I thought that 'flashing' was something that some perv did while wearing a raincoat.
(Hey, I'm pushing 70)
I Finally got my device rooted. I know that it's rooted because while using CF Auto, It wanted me to flash a Triangle Away update, and my binary count went down from 22 to one... so I know at least that worked.
Overjoyed that in Odin, when flashing I first got the notice "Reset!" and then after a few minutes and a restart, I got the "Done" notice (or whatever it said) as I never unplugged from the USB as it says you're supposed to. I just forgot.
Prior to "upgrading" to 4.3 Indian version, I had the stock Rom 4.1.2 running the Perseus Kernel... loved it, but upgrading to 4.3 has turned out to be the worst decision so far.
I still have a lot of Root apps on the phone but they don't work, but as I said, Triangle Away did work.
Should I uninstall the existing ones like Tit. Backup Pro and a few others and re-download them?
Does CF Auto Root automatically install SuperSU? Or should I uninstall that and re-download that too?
One last question....
Assuming that I do have Root, and I'm able to get Titanium Backup Pro working and am able to freeze and/or uninstall the Knox files... What about the ODEX files with Knox.
On this site, I have heard both pieces of advice... Delete and not delete the ODEX'd files.
What is it?
Nobody ever comes up with a definitive answer on this site... it's just a bunch of opinions, usually with the disclaimer, "Worked for me", or something like that... combined with the fact that I really hate working with the Windows partition on my Mac to do the flashing.

Oh, one more thing.
I'd like to go back to the Perseus kernel which somebody mentioned here on XDA.
Are there any kernels for the N7100 that are only useable with 4.1.2 that I should NOT use with 4.3, or does it matter. In other words, would it work with 4.3 as it did with 4.1.2?

Too bad that I don't have somebody like ChainFire living next door. Haha!
I have to thank the XDA site for most of my knowledge since last Feb. when I thought that rooting had something to do with digging up a tree in my front yard.

One more thing (again), I just got an update for Rom Manager Premium and it looks like I can download a CM stable release, which I'm gonna do as soon as I get some of these things ^^^Above answered and ironed out.
I'd like to stick with AOSP as opposed to AOKP but I'll do anything to get away from this current ROM.

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can answer some of these Noob questions.

evaworld
Old
Thanks Meter 27
1-ok i think that you have a custom recovery now, i had these issues a lot on 4.3, if you have custom recovery TWR or CWM you can install any rooted 4.3 rom, but before you do so make sure you backed up your efs folder (VIP you will lose signal if this folder corrubted), after a clean install of any rooted rom, just install ur apps again, if you don't have custom recovery you will need to flash any recovery from Odin, if you can't install recovery from odin so this will be bec. of knox, report back bec. this is another story.

2- some kernels works fine with 4.1.2 or 4.3, and some old ones are only 4.1.2, so make sure that you will flash the right kernel (e.g. devil, AgniPure Stock, ....)

3- don't try to update to CM now, frist make sure that you have a fully working rooted rom with custom recovery install, i also don't recommend flashing roms using any app (rom manager fore example), i think the best flash is the one you do from recovery with clean flash
galaxy Note II , rooted , Tablet Rom (swiping between some roms)
Persues kernel
cpu : 100 - 1400
uv -100 mv
my mobile history
alot of nokia's rubbish - samsung omnia 1 - xperia x1 -htc hero - legend - desire hd - samsung galaxy s2 - galaxy Note I - galaxy Note II"
The Following User Says Thank You to evaworld For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Official_Noob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Just A Follow-Up...

Hey, thanks, evaworld!!!
UPDATE:
I decided to try Root Explorer again (It never worked before to delete anything before this time) and do a search for anything with Knox in it.
I found everything Knox and checked all the boxes except for the ODEX'd files, hit the trash can and wow... it asked for Root privileges. I gave it, and everything was gone in a flash (Pun intended).
Then I tapped on Ti Backup Pro and got the dreaded 'Android device I.D. changed' message so I came back here to XDA and read literally every post on it (Again, opinions are divided) and decided to ignore.
After that, nothing was working for me in Google Play, so I just deleted the data in Google Play Services, Google Play Store, and now I'm waiting for it to take effect in Google Play... whenever I did that in the past, it usually took a couple of hours for it to register. (?)
Now, all of my Rooted apps that I've tried so far are working, but somewhere along the line they pushed Samsung Link on my phone even though I've had Samsung Apps disabled since day one.

The funny thing is that with a Binary Count of 22, I did absolutely nothing differently than this time (Except for an abortive try with Philz_Touch that I don't particularly like the GUI in P_T)... same USB cable, same port, same Windows partition on my Mac, etc. etc. it took this time and I'm pretty overjoyed!

I'll follow evaworld's advice on the ROM... better not throw too much into the mix until I decide that everything is all ironed out.
And, yes, I did click the "Thanks" button for you.

evaworld
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Very good that you have root, but also note that your setup isn't so stable (besides the fact that 4.3 isn't very stable with root apps e.g. I always have problems with titanium and Super and alot of other apps that requires root) , so just clean install a good 4.3 app (I recommend DN3), and after that you are free to do whatever you want (don't forget efs backup in sage place).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
galaxy Note II , rooted , Tablet Rom (swiping between some roms)
Persues kernel
cpu : 100 - 1400
uv -100 mv
my mobile history
alot of nokia's rubbish - samsung omnia 1 - xperia x1 -htc hero - legend - desire hd - samsung galaxy s2 - galaxy Note I - galaxy Note II"