XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Only recovery can read my external SD card

Tip us?

Skeezixmccat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Only recovery can read my external SD card

I finally had my phone unbricked and had everything working today, and installed Slimkat. Works great, bugs are minor, etc. but I noticed that it won't mount my external SD card (64GB class 10) that I got recently. I tried plugging it in to my laptop and nothing happens, no new device sound or any response at all. Tried plugging in my old 32GB SD card into the laptop and it made a sound and popped right up. This told me that my card just went bad, but for some reason TWRP can read it just fine. Using the file manager in my recovery, I can see all the files and everything on the 64GB card. I even restored a nandroid from it earlier today.

I thought that maybe Slimkat just doesn't like 64GB cards, but the fact that Windows wouldn't read it but TWRP will tells me that something funky is going on and I have no idea what it is. It seems like ever since I jumped ship to Samsung I've been getting funky problems that make no sense...

patrockss
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Had similar issue. When I used disk management in Windows my SD card showed but no drive letter, so I added a drive letter and it showed on my windows box.

Skeezixmccat
Old
(Last edited by Skeezixmccat; 2nd January 2014 at 08:49 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrockss View Post
Had similar issue. When I used disk management in Windows my SD card showed but no drive letter, so I added a drive letter and it showed on my windows box.
I put it back in the laptop and opened the disk manager and it wasn't there, but after opening the device manager which scanned for devices it showed up. Apparently it's formatted as exfat, which is cool but it still doesn't work in my phone. I have the option to mount the SD card, it just doesn't do anything. I guess I'll just have to try formatting it as fat32...ewww