5,605,438 Members 43,604 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do I get my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 back to factory default?

Tip us?

semettler
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] How do I get my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 back to factory default?

For starters, I apologize if any of this sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about because frankly, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Recently (this Christmas) my mother got me a Kindle Fire HD 8.9". I decided to follow a guide from a youtube user and put a second bootloader (twrp) and CM 10.1 on my Fire, only to find that half of the apps didn't work. I couldn't watch youtube videos or netflix, or even read books through the kindle app.

This made me angry because here I am freaking out trying to get my Kindle back to factory defaults so I can enjoy it again.
I've looked at countless guides on how to do this, but none were clear and all of them required big downloads that I'm not even sure would work.
Basically, I wiped the CM android os with TWRP, and I'm at the TWRP screen.
I downloaded the 8.4.6 amazon kindle update from the Amazon website and adb pushed it onto my sdcard. This didn't work; the Amazon update file I downloaded was a .bin, so I converted it to a .zip which apparently made my Kindle unable to open it and update.
I am able to get my Kindle into fastboot mode, but I have no clue where to go after this. Can someone please help? I just want my Kindle back the way it was.
Thanks

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 507

DONATE TO ME
Use kindle fire first aid to restore it, though I have no idea what you are talking about with cm 10.1, sounds like you downloaded the wrong gapps because the stuff you mentioned works fine on cm 10.1 for me, you could also try cm 11 since it's newer.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 334

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by semettler View Post
For starters, I apologize if any of this sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about because frankly, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Recently (this Christmas) my mother got me a Kindle Fire HD 8.9". I decided to follow a guide from a youtube user and put a second bootloader (twrp) and CM 10.1 on my Fire, only to find that half of the apps didn't work. I couldn't watch youtube videos or netflix, or even read books through the kindle app.

This made me angry because here I am freaking out trying to get my Kindle back to factory defaults so I can enjoy it again.
I've looked at countless guides on how to do this, but none were clear and all of them required big downloads that I'm not even sure would work.
Basically, I wiped the CM android os with TWRP, and I'm at the TWRP screen.
I downloaded the 8.4.6 amazon kindle update from the Amazon website and adb pushed it onto my sdcard. This didn't work; the Amazon update file I downloaded was a .bin, so I converted it to a .zip which apparently made my Kindle unable to open it and update.
I am able to get my Kindle into fastboot mode, but I have no clue where to go after this. Can someone please help? I just want my Kindle back the way it was.
Thanks
You can't push an Amazon OS onto TWRP to flash it. It don't work like that.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2543481
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2011126
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841