5,594,564 Members 33,083 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flash Roms without safestrap?

Tip us?

rickyheferle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Flash Roms without safestrap?

Is there any way to flash a rom without using safestrap. I'm trying to use the least amount of storage space as possible. Thanks for your help.

tml478
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I use safestrap but I flash over the stock slot. This is not recommended by some but you get all of your storage space. There are many tutorials on how to do it safely. I am reckless now though and just wipe and flash right over . Ive never had an issue. Make sure you have a backup of your stock rom just in case. Worst case scenario you could Odin back to stock so there is really no harm in doing it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Harleydroid
Old
Thanks Meter 323
I also use my stock slot for my daily driver rom with zero issues. I have my stock rom backed up.
Then I use slot one for testing roms to which I keep apps at a minimal.

oneandroidnut
Old
Thanks Meter 320
flash with twrp if you have dev editions!
Currents:
HTC ONE M8 S-Off
Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition Hyperdrive RLS 7 Lean Kernel v1.12
Droid X
Sold:
HTC One Max, HTC One, Nexus 7 Flo 32 GB, Google Chromecast, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.0, HTC DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible, Xoom 32 GB, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2, Droid X

rickyheferle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I dont have dev edition so I'm going to flash over the stock rom. I didn't even think of that..

jmorton10
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyheferle View Post
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I dont have dev edition so I'm going to flash over the stock rom. I didn't even think of that..
No reason not to.

I had originally planned to sell the retail phone & buy the DE when it became available, but I changed my mind real quick after flashing Beans ROM to the stock slot.

I have a stock version of MJE backed up with safestrap but I've never needed it.
~John

VZ Note 3, rooted, Beans ROM/Nova Prime/Custom icons
Gear watch with Null 22.1 ROM & Trangulum kernel,themed etc.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, rooted W/ Google Playstore & Amazon app store working.
Amazon Prime Video/GMAIL etc. all working perfectly.
Leather Origami case.
Moshi iVisor XT screen protector

MS Surface Pro Tablet W/touch KB
64 gig plus Sandisk (junk) 64 gig MicroSD

Lol, I feel sorry for the pathetic posters who beg everybody to thank them in their signatures.....

Redjax
Old
Thanks Meter 11
OP, I'm reading some of the replies here, and I just wanted to give you my input.

The Note 3 has a lot of internal storage, and if you have an SD Card, there's really no reason to be worried about space. If you ARE worried, but still want to flash ROMs, I would recommend buying a 64GB SD Card. That's what I did, and now I literally have no concerns about space, even though I save a lot of playlists for offline listening and store multiple ROMs on my SD Card.

If you don't want to partition your phone for 2 ROMs, just make a backup of your Stock ROM in SafeStrap (make SURE you copy the backup somewhere else, like your Drive account, in case something happens), and for added security, you could also download the Kies 3 app and use it to backup your phone that way as well. Then, just flash a ROM over your Stock partition, and it won't use much, if any, more space than your Stock ROM.

I don't know if that's the kind of answer you're looking for, but SafeStrap itself is a very, very small app, and putting the recovery on your phone doesn't take up storage space in itself; it's the backups that take up space, and if you move those to your SD card or to some cloud storage account, you don't even have to think about it.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

OP, I'm reading some of the replies here, and I just wanted to give you my input.

The Note 3 has a lot of internal storage, and if you have an SD Card, there's really no reason to be worried about space. If you ARE worried, but still want to flash ROMs, I would recommend buying a 64GB SD Card. That's what I did, and now I literally have no concerns about space, even though I save a lot of playlists for offline listening and store multiple ROMs on my SD Card.

If you don't want to partition your phone for 2 ROMs, just make a backup of your Stock ROM in SafeStrap (make SURE you copy the backup somewhere else, like your Drive account, in case something happens), and for added security, you could also download the Kies 3 app and use it to backup your phone that way as well. Then, just flash a ROM over your Stock partition, and it won't use much, if any, more space than your Stock ROM.

I don't know if that's the kind of answer you're looking for, but SafeStrap itself is a very, very small app, and putting the recovery on your phone doesn't take up storage space in itself; it's the backups that take up space, and if you move those to your SD card or to some cloud storage account, you don't even have to think about it.