5,599,077 Members 32,342 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why did YOU root your Gear?

Tip us?

mmick
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Guys, I just have my new Samsung Gear after christmas, it works very well, still happy with battery life (around 3 days). Though I miss having a keyboard to reply SMS / Emails, or do some web search.

My question is...

If I want to keep everything as it is;
- default Samsung stuff, default clock widgets
- default auto Bluetooth connection (at least Gear <-> Note 3 do that automatically...)

but* I want to:
- install a keyboard to normally reply my SMS/Emails
- do some simple websearching, with Opera / Dolphin, etc. (My phone has BT teethring)

Can I do that just by roothing my device?

omniwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 443
the Gear is really a device that RECEIVES things - notifications, updates to display, etc. If you want to use it to SEND things, then you'll really have to root it and put on the Null_ ROM. With this you can enable bluetooth internet tethering, and the Gear can get full internet. With internet you can install apps like an email client and a keyboard (these actually come with Null_), and respond to emails etc on the Gear. Note: it's very fiddly using a keyboard on the Gear, even with swype style input.

Also regarding SMS, this can't really be done on the Gear as you would expect. As the Gear has no SIM card, you'd need an app on the Gear to talk to your phone and tell it to send the SMS.
But, you can actually do this via S-Voice. So if you're happy talking your SMS to the phone (which isn't too bad in my experience), you can get S-Voice to use your phone to send an SMS.
XDA II > i-mate PDA2 > HTC Touch > HTC Diamond > HTC Desire > SGS2 > SGS3 > SGS3 LTE > SGN2 LTE > SGS4 LTE
Running Wanamlite ROM, Adam kernel

Are you a ROM chef? Want to make sure your APKs have the correct compression settings, the internal PNGs are optimised, and the APKs are zip aligned? Check out my script:
[SCRIPT] Repack multiple APKs with proper compression settings

Flippy125
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 191
I rooted mine because I wanted to be able to start my car from my watch, along with hooking it up with Torque to see my times. Being able to add wallpapers is nice too

Nexus 4: CURRENT
Nexus 7 (2013): CURRENT
Galaxy Nexus: BACKUP
HTC Sensaion: SOLD for $380
HTC Vision: SOLD for $300
Nexus One: SOLD for $400

mmick
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by omniwolf View Post
the Gear is really a device that RECEIVES things ... If you want to use it to SEND things ... and tell it to send the SMS....you can get S-Voice to use your phone to send an SMS.
Thanks for answering Omniwolf. Well, Gear is bidirectional, when you take a picture, when you answer an SMS via premade SMS/S-Voice, you are communicating Gear <-> Phone.

My goal is not to have an independent clock like "simvalley MOBILE AW-414.Go Smartwatch", but a little more than what Gear allows in the moment.

For example:
- Answering SMS only through premade SMS...a tiny keyboard option would be fantastic! S-Voice does not work for me, it works on yours???
- No option to quick answer Whatsapp/E.mail
- When I take a picture I cannot send it through E-mail/Whatsapp (option is disabled........)
- No google translate or something like that is possible with keyboard (there is an app that uses the camera but is far from practical...)

So, in theory I just want a Gear + Keyboard + SMS/Whatsapp/Email answer option (S-Voice does not work on mine! I have a Note 3 stock Samsung Android 4.3) + Google Translate.

tkjeeper
Old
Thanks Meter 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmick View Post
Thanks for answering Omniwolf. Well, Gear is bidirectional, when you take a picture, when you answer an SMS via premade SMS/S-Voice, you are communicating Gear <-> Phone.

My goal is not to have an independent clock like "simvalley MOBILE AW-414.Go Smartwatch", but a little more than what Gear allows in the moment.

For example:
- Answering SMS only through premade SMS...a tiny keyboard option would be fantastic! S-Voice does not work for me, it works on yours???
- When I take a picture I cannot send it through E-mail/Whatsapp (option is disabled........)
- No google translate or something like that is possible with keyboard (there is an app that uses the camera but is far from practical...)

So, in theory I just want a Gear + Keyboard + SMS/Whatsapp/Email answer option (S-Voice does not work on mine! I have a Note 3 stock Samsung Android 4.3) + Google Translate.
I answer texts with svoice all the time. Does svoice work on your device? I've used it to call a contact, narrated a # to dial, and responded to texts.
I can honestly say that there is nothing missing from my stock gear that I wish I had.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app

pzayx
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:

For example:

I think you can use tablettalk for that

sent from my carrier pidgeon
Current devices:
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505
Rom: Stock, Rooted Android 4.4.

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 p5110
ROM: Mokee 4.4

Smartwatch: Samsung Galaxy Gear SM-V700
ROM: deodexed rooted stock XXUBNA3.

Previous devices:
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S
Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

To the Galaxy and beyond......

omniwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Quote:

For example:

yeah, i know the Gear can send things to the watch, it's a BT connection with is bidirectional. My point is that without rooting, the gear isn't designed to send things, it's more of a receiver. 90% of the things done on it are incoming, not outgoing. Sure, all photos go the other direction, and using S-Voice you can create a bunch of things on the watch, but it's the minority.

I think i've alread answered all your other questions, so i won't rehash (more), but it really seems like you want Samsung to add a bunch of outgoing functionality to the watch, which is fine by me, i think a lot of it would be useful.

Yes S-Voice works for me, make sure it's installed and usable on your phone before trying it on the watch.
XDA II > i-mate PDA2 > HTC Touch > HTC Diamond > HTC Desire > SGS2 > SGS3 > SGS3 LTE > SGN2 LTE > SGS4 LTE
Running Wanamlite ROM, Adam kernel

Are you a ROM chef? Want to make sure your APKs have the correct compression settings, the internal PNGs are optimised, and the APKs are zip aligned? Check out my script:
[SCRIPT] Repack multiple APKs with proper compression settings

mtbooker
Old
Thanks Meter 3
To free myself of Gear Manager

BT tether + tablet talk = profit

jewelzzp
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default So worth it...

-Null ROM's feature set
-Bluetooth internet tethering (from a U.S. carrier stock ROM with BT tethering option nuked)
-Use with non Samsung device (probably going back to Nexus soon)

S voice is way too limited (even worse on the watch). Google Now and Internet access makes the watch worth the price tag. 300 bucks with a little research and now I can say "Can your Rolex do this?" So worth it...

Pedro2NR
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjeeper View Post
I answer texts with svoice all the time. Does svoice work on your device? I've used it to call a contact, narrated a # to dial, and responded to texts.
I can honestly say that there is nothing missing from my stock gear that I wish I had.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app
I wish S-Voice worked for me. It doesn't hear me well and I keep getting "I didn't catch that" even when I just want to confirm to send a text.
It gets frustrating.