XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WDTV Live

Tip us?

jaupro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default WDTV Live

So, I have the WDTV Live with our library of movies And TV shows stored. Its very organized and took a while to setup. I have the min folder dividing the TV shows and movies.. Then the TV shows divide by series.. Then by season.. Then have all the metadata and such for every episode. The movie are divided by genre And have also have All the imdb data and cover art etc. I have been wanting to be Able to extend the experience to my wife And It's bedroom and into my daughter's bedroom. I can not justify paying for 2 more SMPs with Netflix and all nor can I justify getting a smart TV in each room Either. What I am wondering is a couple of things.

1.) If I'm reading this right..I understand that I can setup my WDTV and PC and that on plex media server... Then download this app on my wife and I's phones, then also on my daughter's nabi... And I could stream Media to all the rooms using this setup from the WDTV? (most of my media is mkv I don't know if thisnisngood or bad)

2.) If I do use the plex app on chrome cast is there a way to on my daughter's nabi to setup parent controls so that she only has access to the kids movies genre folder?

Thanks guys

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaupro View Post
So, I have the WDTV Live with our library of movies And TV shows stored. Its very organized and took a while to setup. I have the min folder dividing the TV shows and movies.. Then the TV shows divide by series.. Then by season.. Then have all the metadata and such for every episode. The movie are divided by genre And have also have All the imdb data and cover art etc. I have been wanting to be Able to extend the experience to my wife And It's bedroom and into my daughter's bedroom. I can not justify paying for 2 more SMPs with Netflix and all nor can I justify getting a smart TV in each room Either. What I am wondering is a couple of things.

1.) If I'm reading this right..I understand that I can setup my WDTV and PC and that on plex media server... Then download this app on my wife and I's phones, then also on my daughter's nabi... And I could stream Media to all the rooms using this setup from the WDTV? (most of my media is mkv I don't know if thisnisngood or bad)

2.) If I do use the plex app on chrome cast is there a way to on my daughter's nabi to setup parent controls so that she only has access to the kids movies genre folder?

Thanks guys
Is the WDTV a server? I didn't think so I thought it was just a Player Box (but I could be wrong). Plex would do the actual server work for the rest of the house anyway.
WD has a MyBook Live device that has a Twonky server built in. (perhaps WDTV has something like this as well for hard drives connected to it via USB.)

Regardless of the WDTV capabilities if you have a Plex server running you could stream content to any device in the house (TVs Tablets and Phones) plus use the Plex App to send it to a Chromecast enabled TV.

But I looked and I saw no Parental controls on the Plex Server unfortunately. I don't believe the App has it either.
I have seen it requested in the Plex Forums but that doesn't mean it is coming soon.

jaupro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Is the WDTV a server? I didn't think so I thought it was just a Player Box (but I could be wrong). Plex would do the actual server work for the rest of the house anyway.
WD has a MyBook Live device that has a Twonky server built in. (perhaps WDTV has something like this as well for hard drives connected to it via USB.)

Regardless of the WDTV capabilities if you have a Plex server running you could stream content to any device in the house (TVs Tablets and Phones) plus use the Plex App to send it to a Chromecast enabled TV.

But I looked and I saw no Parental controls on the Plex Server unfortunately. I don't believe the App has it either.
I have seen it requested in the Plex Forums but that doesn't mean it is coming soon.
The WDTV LIVE is a player with a built in TB hard drive, apps like Netflix and all of that. And has built in Wi-Fi and networks with my PC or other similar devices. I want to be able to play the files stored on it as cheap as possible.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaupro View Post
The WDTV LIVE is a player with a built in TB hard drive, apps like Netflix and all of that. And has built in Wi-Fi and networks with my PC or other similar devices. I want to be able to play the files stored on it as cheap as possible.
Like I said I'm not 100% familiar with that box...If it has a DLNA server built in then no need for Plex Server at all unless it doesn't transcode and your library is not Chromecast compatible (MP4/H264/AAC), Just use aVia and you can send content to the Chromecast or wait until a Better player comes along (like MX Player) that has CCast capability.

Not sure how Parental control will work but if WDTV does this it is possible that it will work over DLNA as well.

You probably wont get any of the WDTV apps to work over it though. But then again the Apps your likely to want are already available for CCast (like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and YouTube)

There is no way of controlling it from the WDTV however...At least not until WDTV comes out with an App that supports CCast.
Which may very well be on the way for all I know.

nightfishing
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Not sure how to make it work if the HD is connected directly to the WDTV.

I have a similar setup, but I store my files on a network drive that the WD has access to. As the previous poster mentioned, Plex running on a PC on your network would allow you to access them thru the Plex app on any Chromecast.