5,605,250 Members 38,554 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WPDR tool doesn't see my device. Because no Microsoft account present?

Tip us?

zogoibi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default WPDR tool doesn't see my device. Because no Microsoft account present?

Hello again.

Windows Phone Developer Registration tool doesn't "see" my device. I've double checked all requisites (.net framework, IpOverUsbSvc, phone listed in file explorer, screen unlocked, correct time, internet connected, etc.) The only issue I can think of is the fact that I still haven't set up a Microsoft account in the phone; but... is this reason enough for the WPDR tool to not even see the phone?

Any hint appreciated. Thanks!

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2483
That's probably the cause, yeah. You could try setting up the account to see if it works, then...
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zogoibi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Well, I've found something interesting: when I've plugged my device to a virtual machine running win8 and the full WP8 SDK, it recognized my phone instantly. So, now we know that a device that has not been set up with a Microsoft account can be dev-unlocked.

So, definitely there's something wrong with my installation of the hacked SDK-lite. Or maybe the drivers. I have a kind of mess in my laptop because of all the previous drivers and programs for Symbian and my Nokia C7. I still find it hard to get used to the idea that Nokia is not Nokia anymore, but Windows. I have to repeat to myself twice a day: "I don't own a Nokia Lumia, but a Microsoft Lumia".

Thanks for caring, GDTD.

bruce142
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogoibi View Post
Well, I've found something interesting: when I've plugged my device to a virtual machine running win8 and the full WP8 SDK, it recognized my phone instantly. So, now we know that a device that has not been set up with a Microsoft account can be dev-unlocked.

So, definitely there's something wrong with my installation of the hacked SDK-lite. Or maybe the drivers. I have a kind of mess in my laptop because of all the previous drivers and programs for Symbian and my Nokia C7. I still find it hard to get used to the idea that Nokia is not Nokia anymore, but Windows. I have to repeat to myself twice a day: "I don't own a Nokia Lumia, but a Microsoft Lumia".

Thanks for caring, GDTD.
Well maybe the virtual Win 8 OS with WP8 SDK recognized your phone because Win 8 has the winusb drivers build in. On Windows 7, you need to install these winusb driver (you normally have a unrecognized device called Windows Phone 8 in the Device Management).

Link to the drivers : http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/....aspx?q=winusb http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...1-dcc969d94832
The Following User Says Thank You to bruce142 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zogoibi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Hmm... Well, this is strange. My device seems to be perfectly recognized by the system. Actually, every time I plug the phone in I get a popup window listing it under "devices and printers" with the correct model (RM-892 | Nokia Lumia 925). In the device manager it appears as a Nokia USB device, with no exclamation marks nor any sign of "wrong driver". Yet, the hacked SDK insists in not finding it.

On the other hand, I've tried to install the "winusb" driver you mention, but the link you provide redirects me to somewhere where there is no such driver, and I haven't been able to find a download. In any case, there are at least five copies of winusb.sys in my system...

Don't know what am I doing wrong.

bruce142
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogoibi View Post
Hmm... Well, this is strange. My device seems to be perfectly recognized by the system. Actually, every time I plug the phone in I get a popup window listing it under "devices and printers" with the correct model (RM-892 | Nokia Lumia 925). In the device manager it appears as a Nokia USB device, with no exclamation marks nor any sign of "wrong driver". Yet, the hacked SDK insists in not finding it.

On the other hand, I've tried to install the "winusb" driver you mention, but the link you provide redirects me to somewhere where there is no such driver, and I haven't been able to find a download. In any case, there are at least five copies of winusb.sys in my system...

Don't know what am I doing wrong.
You need to visit the website with Internet Explorer. Go to google type "winusb windows phone microsoft update catalog" and go to the site with "catalog.update.microsoft.com" in the URL. If you don't see the download link of the driver type "winusb windows phone" in search. There should be an unrecognized device called "Windows Phone 8" in the device manager (start menu -> My Computer -> right mouse click -> Manage -> Device Manager in left context menu) for this driver to be installed, if not I can't help you further.
The Following User Says Thank You to bruce142 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zogoibi
Old
(Last edited by zogoibi; 3rd January 2014 at 01:41 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Thanks Bruce. I've done what you said and was able to download winusb. It's a .rar package containing two files, winusbcompat.cat and winusbcompat.inf. Now, if I'm not abusing your patience... what do I do with them?

[EDIT] Ok, don't bother. I figured out how. Actually this solved my problem. After properly installing the winusb driver, the WP8 SDK lite by Arnold Vink recognized my phone.

Thanks to everybody who helped me "out".

zogoibi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Now I wonder how could I mark this thread as "solved"...