XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Streaming from DLNA

Tip us?

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
I have a videos which have (each) been ripped from DVD as VOB without compression/transcoding and combined into one single (per title) MPEG file. These MPEG files play fine with every DLNA client I have, embedded in h/w or on Android EXCEPT Avia. MX player also plays the files in Android when I access them over SMB. Avia, though, just reports that it failed to play the file. I tried emailing Avia support but they haven't replied. The files can obviously be played on the Android devices (Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and Galaxytab 2) just not by Avia so I can't cast them to CC that way. Any idea what the issue could be?
Make no mistake...IMO MX Player is far superior to aVia as far as what it plays and how well it plays it.
But unfortunately it has no CCast support at the moment. MX player even has Hardware decoding and when that doesn't work will switch to Software decoding to play the stream, I'm not sure if aVia even has Hardware decoding at all.

If MX Player or something like VLC ever adds CCast support I'm betting a lot of people are going to switch to them.

Right now until a better tool comes along to use aVia is it!

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRatt View Post
The movies are .MP4's If I download the movie from my hard drive connected to router to my phone. Play it with Avia it streams on the chromecast perfectly. That is why I didn't think it was a movie issue.
I agree though I will end up setting up one of my old PCs just as a server and use Plex/Plex Pass as I already paid for it and have both apps.
In the past I could stream ALL the movies from ANYWHERE either on WiFi or cell signal from anywhere. My ATT DSL modem had died and I replaced it with a New ATT DSL modem. Now the upload speed for the movies is too slow to ever play (EXCEPT if I am on my HOME WiFi). I used the AiCloud App with MX Player when it DID work to play them from anywhere on my phones/tablets.
So from my Home WiFi I can still play any of the movies and just hook up my phone via mhl adapter to my big screen to watch them. Was just hoping I could bypass having to use the mhl adapter to HDMI so my phone wasn't actually attached.
So I will probably go the PC route soon. Thanks.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337
I would contact ATT and complain. DSL means you probably have a contract for X amount of Bandwidth both incoming and outgoing being the same (which is usually the case with DSL).

Run a speed test to see if what your getting is what your paying for and if not call and complain!
You could also try buying your own DSL modem which might solve the problem. Especially if they are throttling you at the Modem.

stringrazor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
[QUOTE=Asphyx;49057469]Make no mistake...IMO MX Player is far superior to aVia as far as what it plays and how well it plays it.
But unfortunately it has no CCast support at the moment. MX player even has Hardware decoding and when that doesn't work will switch to Software decoding to play the stream, I'm not sure if aVia even has Hardware decoding at all.

If MX Player or something like VLC ever adds CCast support I'm betting a lot of people are going to switch to them.

Right now until a better tool comes along to use aVia is it!

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Let me rephrase: the files are playable on Android with everything I've tried EXCEPT Avia, even with a DLNA client like HomeDia. Avia's site says if a file is playable on the device, Avia can play it but I'm finding that's not so.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Let me rephrase: the files are playable on Android with everything I've tried EXCEPT Avia, even with a DLNA client like HomeDia. Avia's site says if a file is playable on the device, Avia can play it but I'm finding that's not so.
On-device playback is dependent on the app, just like Chromecast playback is dependent on Chromecast itself.

Unlike BSPlayer and MXPlayer which have additional codecs and decoding methods they use, Avia seems to use the default device playback capabilities, so I think what they mean by "plays on the device" essentially means "plays in the built-in Gallery/Video Player"

Thus
If it plays in built-in native Video Player, it should play in Avia
If it plays in Avia, still no guarantee it'll cast to Chromecast

But if it plays in the built-in native Video Player and doesn't play in Avia, yeah, sounds like maybe a bug.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

stringrazor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
On-device playback is dependent on the app, just like Chromecast playback is dependent on Chromecast itself.

Unlike BSPlayer and MXPlayer which have additional codecs and decoding methods they use, Avia seems to use the default device playback capabilities, so I think what they mean by "plays on the device" essentially means "plays in the built-in Gallery/Video Player"

Thus
If it plays in built-in native Video Player, it should play in Avia
If it plays in Avia, still no guarantee it'll cast to Chromecast

But if it plays in the built-in native Video Player and doesn't play in Avia, yeah, sounds like maybe a bug.
Seems there's an update. Had 7.0.27477 on the phone and update is .27492. It seems to have solved local content playback issues for someone else here> I'll check it when I get home. That would be nice...

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Seems there's an update. Had 7.0.27477 on the phone and update is .27492. It seems to have solved local content playback issues for someone else here> I'll check it when I get home. That would be nice...
It didn't solve my DLNA streaming problem.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
It didn't solve my DLNA streaming problem.
Didn't fix my device-local casting problem either, but I'm happy to see they're working on it.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Didn't fix my device-local casting problem either, but I'm happy to see they're working on it.
True and I have other options if needed.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

stringrazor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Yeah, still not working for me either.