5,598,297 Members 47,860 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is the best way to match up a custom kernel to the ROM I'm currently running

Tip us?

narsciso
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] What is the best way to match up a custom kernel to the ROM I'm currently running

I have flashed ROMs before on this device, but in all honesty, I just did it going by what other people were flashing. I always flashed the "latest ROMs" in tandem with the "latest kernels" that separate developers were building.

Now I would actually like to go back in time and try to find the smoothest and most stable combination I can get on 4.3 now that everyone's moving onto 4.4

I'm currently running PA with the stock kernel of 3.4.62-CM

So does that mean if a separate developer is building their kernel do I have to match the same exact kernel version of CM? (And yes I understand that AOSP and TW kernels are completely different, and I don't cross flash at all, lol)

I'm asking this to try to get a more thorough understanding of what is exactly going on when I'm changing a kernel, and how different versions matter.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

twistedillutions
Old
Thanks Meter 146
i cant go into detail about kernels since i dont know coding and all the other fun stuff
but they are fone depended.i personally use BMS kernel im on liquidsmooth 4.4 rom but have used BMS on 4.3 liquidsmooth rom . ive tried KT kernel but did not play nice with my fone it wasnt letting me change settings on it . i suggest from my personal experience try out different kernels run them for couple days to see how it plays with ur fone .