XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Troubleshooting Mobile Data

Tip us?

TemplarWithin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Troubleshooting Mobile Data

Good night my fellow modders. Tonight i come with a particular query, mainly, how do i go about troubleshooting the 3G connection of the motorola razr i. Ever since i flashed Omar's Motorola 4.1.2 Rom from Jan-01-2014, i haven't been able to get internet access through my carrier (Not even through 2g) and ive already checked its not a carrier issue (Since i can use my simcard to browse the internet in another phone just fine), i even tried doing a nandroid restore from the stock firmware i had previous to starting this adventurous task to get things working again, but even then the mobile broadband service is a no-no.

I'm at a loss on what to do, since i've already tried reflashing the ROM, reset-ted the phones APN's, and i've also done the suggested file modification of the losialert timer to both, 1000 and 500 (as seen in the same thread). However those efforts have been to no avail and im quite at a loss on what to do.
Im sorry if my english isnt fully understandable (Its not my native languaje) and im also sorry if this isnt the righ section to post about it, but i cant post directly in the thread since I'm a new member. I thank you beforehand for any and all guidance or help you can offer me.

Chamelleon
Old
Thanks Meter 116

DONATE TO ME
Don't worry, English is not native language for most of forum users.
First of all buy any pre-paid card from different carrier or borrow it sim-card from friend and test it.
I had similar situation with Virgin Mobile. We have quite few operators in my country and I tested all of them but for this I wasn't prepared. I had my new RAZR i and there was no option to use internet with Virgin Mobile.
After few days of fight with different ROM, modding system, installing apps to APN's I figured it was sim-card. Some carriers have old sim-cards which have something wrong with MCC and MNC code and all phones can work on it but not Android 4.1 and above caused APN automation.
I even called to Virgin to ask for changing sim-card but they said they don't have different version of sim-cards, so I asked "WHAT, so every people in Your network doesn't have internet on Android 4.1+??!!" and they said "Yes, it seems so".
And there was no other way but change carrier. Now I have fully working internet without any modifications.

Sorry for so long and boring reply but for my almost 10 years working with mobile phones it was first situation like this.
Motorola RAZR i - 4.2.1 9.82l-50_SMI-26 Unlocked
Motorola Defy Plus DFP-231 Root - DFP-188, DFP-231, DFP-2311 BL7 Root
The Following User Says Thank You to Chamelleon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TemplarWithin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelleon View Post
Don't worry, English is not native language for most of forum users.
First of all buy any pre-paid card from different carrier or borrow it sim-card from friend and test it.
I had similar situation with Virgin Mobile. We have quite few operators in my country and I tested all of them but for this I wasn't prepared. I had my new RAZR i and there was no option to use internet with Virgin Mobile.
After few days of fight with different ROM, modding system, installing apps to APN's I figured it was sim-card. Some carriers have old sim-cards which have something wrong with MCC and MNC code and all phones can work on it but not Android 4.1 and above caused APN automation.
I even called to Virgin to ask for changing sim-card but they said they don't have different version of sim-cards, so I asked "WHAT, so every people in Your network doesn't have internet on Android 4.1+??!!" and they said "Yes, it seems so".
And there was no other way but change carrier. Now I have fully working internet without any modifications.

Sorry for so long and boring reply but for my almost 10 years working with mobile phones it was first situation like this.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. Unfortunately, i believe your case doesn't apply to me, since i had no issue using the internet with my operator (Telcel) before flashing the new ROM. I've also already called my operator and they made several procedures to try and reestablish my service, however none of them worked, but they assure me it's a problem with my device, since their service is working correctly.
I have no idea what to do now, but i hope can get the minimum required limit i need to ask for support directly on the thread ;(.

Hazou
Old
Thanks Meter 716
I don't know if this will help.

I had this problem with my brothers phone (galaxy s4 mini) last night. Data wouldn't turn on in anyway. Flash in new ROM from recovery didn't did the trick, nor a nandroid did. The only way I have got it to work was flashing a stock ROM through ODIN. In this case it would be RSD lite. Maybe it I'll work, but be aware of the flashing problems red lite can give. Read it a bit. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using XDA Premium HD app
Github: HazouPH
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Omar-Avelar
Old
(Last edited by Omar-Avelar; 2nd January 2014 at 10:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 906

DONATE TO ME
Do you have the correct APN entries?? You might need to add it manually...

That happens because it doesn't auto configure (correctly, or none at all) for some carriers because I don't have all the carriers in apn-config.xml -- while your specific carrier ROM might have had it already configured and a specific xml list for them.

If you reset APN's and see all the appropriate ones added it might be configuring a wrong ones by default according to the data from the apn-config.xml one in my ROM, just configure accordingly to your carrier information

Note 1: My ROM does not touch the radio, and since the radio images are international anyway it does not make sense to flash recovery images or anything ... the only problem (assuming you did not break anything in hardware during ROM flashing) comes from the android /system partition which is prone to have incorrect carrier settings for data configurations... any bad number or password updated on your carrier it would be configuring something else by doing "reset to default"...

Note 2: To save the APN entry don't exit ... press the options menu and hit save when done modifying -- else it won't remain saved!
The Following User Says Thank You to Omar-Avelar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chamelleon
Old
Thanks Meter 116

DONATE TO ME
The problem starts when You updated from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2??
Motorola RAZR i - 4.2.1 9.82l-50_SMI-26 Unlocked
Motorola Defy Plus DFP-231 Root - DFP-188, DFP-231, DFP-2311 BL7 Root
The Following User Says Thank You to Chamelleon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TemplarWithin
Old
(Last edited by TemplarWithin; 3rd January 2014 at 07:11 AM.) Reason: Typos
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazou View Post
I don't know if this will help.

I had this problem with my brothers phone (galaxy s4 mini) last night. Data wouldn't turn on in anyway. Flash in new ROM from recovery didn't did the trick, nor a nandroid did. The only way I have got it to work was flashing a stock ROM through ODIN. In this case it would be RSD lite. Maybe it I'll work, but be aware of the flashing problems red lite can give. Read it a bit. Good luck!

Did you try to change the APN settings before you tried this? I'm only asking because I'm considering this option, but i would like to rule it out as my final option, because since i started having this issue I've been reading a lot, and the way you fixed your problem sounds like the stock ROM corrected your issue by giving you the default APN's for your carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelleon View Post
The problem starts when You updated from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2??
I'm afraid i was already on 4.1.2 by the time i installed Omar's custom ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar-Avelar View Post
Do you have the correct APN entries?? You might need to add it manually...

That happens because it doesn't auto configure (correctly, or none at all) for some carriers because I don't have all the carriers in apn-config.xml -- while your specific carrier ROM might have had it already configured and a specific xml list for them.

If you reset APN's and see all the appropriate ones added it might be configuring a wrong ones by default according to the data from the apn-config.xml one in my ROM, just configure accordingly to your carrier information

Note 1: My ROM does not touch the radio, and since the radio images are international anyway it does not make sense to flash recovery images or anything ... the only problem (assuming you did not break anything in hardware during ROM flashing) comes from the android /system partition which is prone to have incorrect carrier settings for data configurations... any bad number or password updated on your carrier it would be configuring something else by doing "reset to default"...

Note 2: To save the APN entry don't exit ... press the options menu and hit save when done modifying -- else it won't remain saved!
Thanks a lot for getting out of your way to help me Omar; After troubleshooting the device and several talks with my network carrier I've managed to get a so-so signal. I'm not sure if your ROM configures correctly or not the APN'S of my carrier (Telcel) because when i edited them everything was configured as it was supposed to be (I'm not sure about the password since i can't see it though), the only thing that was missing was the APN for GPRS, but I've been reading several forums and almost no android device needs this in addition to the 3G APN (I've added it nonetheless but the device isn't actively using it, my guess is that you've got to choose either 3g or GPRS); I also called my carrier, and the allegedly reset-ed my service.

I'm still not sure if the device is working properly, mainly because the internet access through the mobile network has become very unstable (Sometimes i get disconnected randomly, and turning on the Wi-Fi gets me disconnected automatically), and even though the radio almost always gets an H+ signal (Which is kinda funny, because i used to get 3G more consistently before) i don't think this is normal behavior. I think it may have to be with the los alert, because in my desperate attempts to get things working, i reflashed your ROM and it was set to 1000 once again and I also think that the hardware can't be broken because i wouldn't be able to connect to the data service otherwise.

Because of this i would like to ask two very specific queries, is there a way to flash this setting without flashing the entirety of the zip file?; And in case there isn't, if i flash the zip with the new configuration, and then proceed to perform a nandroid backup of my previous build, will i lose the new 00radio configuration?

I will be tinkering with the device this weekend and will report back if i can find whats wrong, just in case it's something else and somebody needs help troubleshooting this in the future. Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far, i wouldn't have learned so much in so little time without your help.

Hazou
Old
Thanks Meter 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplarWithin View Post
Did you try to change the APN settings before you tried this? I'm only asking because I'm considering this option, but i would like to rule it out as my final option, because since i started having this issue I've been reading a lot, and the way you fixed your problem sounds like the stock ROM corrected your issue by giving you the default APN's for your carrier.
Hmm, don't know for sure. I have made some changes within the APN list to get it working, didn't work. But the rare thing was that the cm11 one did have data and when he flashed his stock back with a nandroid or a stock zip file data wouldn't turn on anymore. So I can't rule out that it was the APN list that was making trouble, because even with stock it did not work. Only by flashing through Odin it worked. Radio hasn't been flashed in that process.

Github: HazouPH