DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Unlocking Bootloader

Got a question about unlocking bootloader and the current state of my phone:
First up, this is the current state of my phone:
  • Bootloader locked
  • Rooted
  • Dual Recovery installed (??)
  • RomAur 4 installed

So basically the state of my phone is that I followed to guide in the RomAur post to install their ROM.
When I reboot my phone I get the extra buzz so I can hold Vol up/down to enter recovery.
I have root, but the sys partition is not mountable as R/W in RomAur 4 but I can flash zips in recovery.
I want to install iHackers v2 ROM and maybe also unlock bootloader as it seems all camera issues have been sorted (correct me if I'm wrong) (are there are reasons I should/shouldn't unlock the bootloader?).

What do I have to do to go from RomAur 4 to iHackers 2.0 with the current state of my phone? Should I bother unlocking bootloader to use a 3rd party kernel?
Are [nandroid] backups done in CWM any use at all as it seems that when flashing a ROM you then have to use flashtool to flash a kernel and radio so I'm guessing that the backups wont be able to restore these either?

Thanks for all the help and bloody hard work you guys put into developing for our phones.
Sony Xperia Z1 +32GB microSD
#ThreeUK#Unl.Data

TagEHeuer
Old
Thanks Meter 66

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberguru View Post
Got a question about unlocking bootloader and the current state of my phone:
First up, this is the current state of my phone:
  • Bootloader locked
  • Rooted
  • Dual Recovery installed (??)
  • RomAur 4 installed

So basically the state of my phone is that I followed to guide in the RomAur post to install their ROM.
When I reboot my phone I get the extra buzz so I can hold Vol up/down to enter recovery.
I have root, but the sys partition is not mountable as R/W in RomAur 4 but I can flash zips in recovery.
I want to install iHackers v2 ROM and maybe also unlock bootloader as it seems all camera issues have been sorted (correct me if I'm wrong) (are there are reasons I should/shouldn't unlock the bootloader?).

What do I have to do to go from RomAur 4 to iHackers 2.0 with the current state of my phone? Should I bother unlocking bootloader to use a 3rd party kernel?
Are [nandroid] backups done in CWM any use at all as it seems that when flashing a ROM you then have to use flashtool to flash a kernel and radio so I'm guessing that the backups wont be able to restore these either?

Thanks for all the help and bloody hard work you guys put into developing for our phones.
As long as you save backs up on an external SD card you should be fine. I don't know what data you can restore back though. Photos, texts, apps, etc, should be okay. I'd back up with Titanium or something then just restore after. (I recommend nandroid also for your own peace of mind and hassle free experience)

Best thing to do is just do it from fresh to save you any hassle if you're going to wipe the phone anyway. It's best to wipe the phone before so nothing goes wrong.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2539008

As it says:

Quote:
Copy the ROM to External SDCard.
Install iHackers Advanced Stock Kernel.
Reboot into Recovery.
Make Sure to do a Wipe Data/Factory Reset before Installing the ROM.
Start the Installation. (Install Zip >> Choose Zip for External SDCard).
Switch Off Your Phone (Do Not Reboot). Select No to Disable Flash Recovery Confirmation.
Install Kernel.ftf for C6903 (.290) or Kernel.ftf for C6902 (.290) with Flashtool to get compatible Kernel and Baseband.
Reinstall Your Desired Kernel.
Reboot and Enjoy.
All camera issues sorted in iHackers v1.2.

Personally I'm running iHackers's PureStock.

I actively donate to people who are helpful towards others and myself. Be it a small amount or a large amount. I will try my best to thank you with a donation.
The Following User Says Thank You to TagEHeuer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Just2Cause
Old
(Last edited by Just2Cause; 3rd January 2014 at 10:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
If you want to unlock the bootloader, DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP TA partition.

You can unlock bootloader (after you have backed up TA), then install iHackers kernel, and go to Philz recovery (I believe it is volume up, but might be down), then click on wipe, then wipe for installing new ROM (or something like that), then install the iHackers ROM.zip

Regards,
~J2C
Don't forget to hit the THANKS button! If I helped.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2Cause View Post
If you want to unlock the bootloader, DON'T FORGET TO BACK TA partition.
Why I should do that? With 4.3 still no problem unlock bootloader and I am already on 4.3 and I didn't backup anything. The only reason is Warranty.

cyberguru
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
To be honest I don't really have any 'data' on my phone that I would miss if I lost it... some photo's, MP3's.. I only do nandroid backups so that I can test a new ROM, if I don't like it or it doesn't work I can just go back to Recovery and restore the nandroid and continue as I was but that was on Samsung devices and I'm a little worried as to the usefulness of the nandroids on this phone. Why do we have to flash kernel and radio using flashtool and why can't they be installed with the .zip/ROM?

I have a backup of my TA partition; I did it as a step in rooting/flashing some other ROM but didn't really know why I was doing it but it's stored away for whatever reason I need it!
I think for the time being I'll keep a locked BL, but I want to get rid of this ROM off my phone. I really need /sys to be mounted as R/W and I'm having some WiFi issues with RomAur 4.
#ThreeUK#Unl.Data

Just2Cause
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
Why I should do that? With 4.3 still no problem unlock bootloader and I am already on 4.3 and I didn't backup anything. The only reason is Warranty.
Well, you said it. Warranty.

Quote:
I think for the time being I'll keep a locked BL, but I want to get rid of this ROM off my phone. I really need /sys to be mounted as R/W and I'm having some WiFi issues with RomAur 4.

So far, you can't get /sys mounted as R/W with a locked bootloader, even on custom ROMs.

If you want full root, the only way is to unlock bootloader.

Regards,
~J2C

cyberguru
Old
(Last edited by cyberguru; 3rd January 2014 at 10:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2Cause View Post
Well, you said it. Warranty.

So far, you can't get /sys mounted as R/W with a locked bootloader, even on custom ROMs.

If you want full root, the only way is to unlock bootloader.

Regards,
~J2C
Dont think thats 100% accurate - you can get Root with /sys mounted as R/W on roms <4.3. I had iHackers (1.2 I think) working with r/w system partition I just got a little flash-happy when a 4.3 ROM came out and went and flashed it.

Doesn't matter now anyway.. I unlocked the BL! Flashed iHackers 2... what a pile of crap (my opinion)... installed a load of stuff I purposefully unticked in Aroma and has lost me root.. yay.

If I restore a nandroid of iHackers 1.2 from CWM will I brick my phone in any way seeing as I'm currently on Android 4.3 with all the kernels and radios that brings..? That is of course saying I can get into recovery...
[edit]
Can't get into CWM... brilliant. I guess I'm going to have to use flashtool to downgrade and root my phone or something like that now.. Wouldn't mind but I'm at work and have to download ROMs on my phone because of work proxies!
#ThreeUK#Unl.Data

Just2Cause
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Dont think thats 100% accurate - you can get Root with /sys mounted as R/W on roms <4.3. I had iHackers (1.2 I think) working with r/w system partition I just got a little flash-happy when a 4.3 ROM came out and went and flashed it.

Doesn't matter now anyway.. I unlocked the BL! Flashed iHackers 2... what a pile of crap (my opinion)... installed a load of stuff I purposefully unticked in Aroma and has lost me root.. yay.

If I restore a nandroid of iHackers 1.2 from CWM will I brick my phone in any way seeing as I'm currently on Android 4.3 with all the kernels and radios that brings..? That is of course saying I can get into recovery...
Yea, I meant it can't be done on 4.3

Well, Why don't you just flash stock ROM (4.3) then 257 then 534 and then install iHackers 1.2 without any problems.

Regards,
~J2C

cyberguru
Old
(Last edited by cyberguru; 3rd January 2014 at 12:41 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Right, deleted last post but in summary; got root back but no Play Store and no recovery installed so did some good old fassioned searching:

Over in Original Android dev there is a discussion for Root on 4.3. The first post has links to kernels with recoveries and SuperSU by chainfire... downloaded Philz and SuperSU and now just need to figure out how to flash the two of them..
I take it something like
Code:
fastboot flash boot filename.img
will take care of flashing kernel to my UL phone so then I power on and press Vol Up, Vol down to enter recovery and flash SuperSU?

Wish me luck
#ThreeUK#Unl.Data

Tags
bootloader, rom, root, unlock