XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unfixable Soft Brick??

Tip us?

jzero88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Default Unfixable Soft Brick??

So basically I was on stock 4.3 TW rom and tried flashing HyperDrive ROM. Everyhting went through but I did get any Data to work for the life of me.

Tried flashing back to a 4.4 GE rom, and got "com.phone.android" crash error right after boot up. Couldn't do anything with the phone at all.

Tried flashing another .zip I had, same thing with the phone.

Tried flashing stock rom throgh Odin, same thing.

Now after a couple other flash tried etc, my whole SDCARD is wiped, and can't use fastboot.

I can get into recovery but thats about it. Tried sideloading a rom with the same com.phone. issue.

About to drown this ****ing thing and use my warranty, at a complete loss now.
Phone: GALAXY NEXUS
Rom: CM9 All the Way

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1869

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzero88 View Post
So basically I was on stock 4.3 TW rom and tried flashing HyperDrive ROM. Everyhting went through but I did get any Data to work for the life of me.

Tried flashing back to a 4.4 GE rom, and got "com.phone.android" crash error right after boot up. Couldn't do anything with the phone at all.

Tried flashing another .zip I had, same thing with the phone.

Tried flashing stock rom throgh Odin, same thing.

Now after a couple other flash tried etc, my whole SDCARD is wiped, and can't use fastboot.

I can get into recovery but thats about it. Tried sideloading a rom with the same com.phone. issue.

About to drown this ****ing thing and use my warranty, at a complete loss now.
Since you have only posted the issues you are having with your phone but not your
phone's specific model I cannot help you more than the following.

What I can tell you is if you really want to fix the issues you are having you need to forget
about going into recovery mode and instead make sure you can go into "Download Mode".

Once you can get your phone into download mode you will need to find and download the official
stock Odin flash firmware specific to your phones model and flash your phone using Odin.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 190
You've posted in Tmo S4, Nexus 4, i9505 threads at the minimum. Please make sure you're in the right forums. But in any case, you've overwritten many files by doing dirty flashes. Your best bet is to go into download mode (Vol Down + Home + Power), connect phone to computer, open up Odin, select PDA/AP, and then choose the stock file for your phone model and version.

< - - - - - Please hit the button if I helped.

Unlocked TMO SGS4, SGH-M919, WarpDrive KK 4.4.2, Ktoonsez Kernel, PhilZ Touch Recovery.

HUGE THANKS TO rovo89 FOR HIS XPOSED FRAMEWORK. List of Xposed Modules

coyttl
Old
Thanks Meter 26
.. slightly off-topic, but.. Isn't a "soft-brick", by definition, fixable? Otherwise it'd be a 'hard-brick'?

xdapowerapps
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyttl View Post
.. slightly off-topic, but.. Isn't a "soft-brick", by definition, fixable? Otherwise it'd be a 'hard-brick'?
Soft-brick is exactly what it is, it is a software issue in which case you can usually Odin back to stock and get it working again. A hard-brick is when you can no longer flash any new software onto the phone and the only way to repair it is using a JTAG device which majority of the people don't have. It essentially becomes a paperweight. But all hope is not lost. There is a service that you can send your phone in and for about $25 or so, they will have it fixed and back to you within a week. The company has good reviews so it's worth it if you've bricked your $600 device.

< - - - - - Please hit the button if I helped.

Unlocked TMO SGS4, SGH-M919, WarpDrive KK 4.4.2, Ktoonsez Kernel, PhilZ Touch Recovery.

HUGE THANKS TO rovo89 FOR HIS XPOSED FRAMEWORK. List of Xposed Modules

coyttl
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdapowerapps View Post
Soft-brick is exactly what it is, it is a software issue in which case you can usually Odin back to stock and get it working again. A hard-brick is when you can no longer flash any new software onto the phone and the only way to repair it is using a JTAG device which majority of the people don't have. It essentially becomes a paperweight. But all hope is not lost. There is a service that you can send your phone in and for about $25 or so, they will have it fixed and back to you within a week. The company has good reviews so it's worth it if you've bricked your $600 device.
Okay, that's what I was thinking. Thanks!